D&D 5E D&D Statistics by State (March 2023)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My understanding is that it's remained fairly constant for the last several years. As of 2018, 39% of D&D players were women, and that's essentially the same as today.

From WotC, May, 2021:

1693365707892.png

Clint_L

Hero
These sources are pretty sketchily researched, and one number particularly irritates me, the claim that D&D currently has over 50 million players. That number has been debunked repeatedly, and it started with one poorly vetted article misstating WotC’s (also poorly sourced) claim that D&D has had 50 million players over its lifetime. Or maybe not even players, maybe folks who have interacted with the game in some unspecified way. WotC has been cagey about the figure. Which they haven’t really shown their math on.

I would love it if D&D had 50 million active players. But it is a fraction of that.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I would love it if D&D had 50 million active players. But it is a fraction of that.
Anecdotally, I'm not so sure.

If the number of people I bump into here in town who, if D&D comes up in chit-chat*, say "I play that!", translates across even just North America then 50 million active players is a possibility.

* - just today my wife and I were in a grocery store, she mentioned the cheese she was getting was for charcuterie on D&D night. The cashier: "D&D? I play that!"

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Is it possible that people using a VPN to search could alter the google search results? Also, Oregon has a big AWS center, wonder if that makes a difference for why OR is a top contender?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Is it possible that people using a VPN to search could alter the google search results? Also, Oregon has a big AWS center, wonder if that makes a difference for why OR is a top contender?
Hmm, that's a good question.

Here's what I could find from a standard web search. It doesn't have any density numbers or dates, it's just a map of locations:

AWS Locations.png

So it looks like the AWS locations are pretty well-distributed across the USA, but there are rather dense clusters of them in the New England area and the Pacific Northwest. (And the southwest, to a lesser degree.) Not sure what that means for the search results and VPN users, though.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The new Baldur's Gate 3 video game shows the Bard Paladin to be the most popular character class. So at least among players of that one video game, Bard Paladin is supreme.
It makes sense that both would be over-represented, because the Charisma checks in dialogue incentivize playing a high-Charisma character.

Remove ads