D&D 5E D&D Beyond Releases 2023 Character Creation Data

Most popular character is still Bob the Human Fighter

D&D Beyond released the 2023 Unrolled with data on the most popular character choices for D&D. The full article includes a wide variety of statistics for the beta test of Maps, charity donations, mobile app usage, and more. However, I’m just going to recap the big numbers.

6.jpg

The most common species chosen by players are Human, Elf, Dragonborn, Tiefling, and Half-Elf. This contrasts with the stats from Baldur’s Gate 3 released back in August 2023 where Half-Elves were the most popular with the rest of the top five also shuffling around.

Also, keep an eye on the scale of these charts as they’re not exactly even. It starts with just over 700,000 for Humans and 500,000 for Elf, but the next line down is 200,000 with the other three species taking up space in that range. This means the difference separating the highest line on the graph and the second highest is 200,000, then 300,000 between the next two, 100,000 between the next, and finally 10,000 separating all the others.

7.jpg

Top classes start off with the Fighter then move onto the Rogue, Barbarian, Wizard, and Paladin. The scale on this chart is just as uneven as the last, but the numbers are much closer with what appears to be about 350,000 Fighters at the top to just over 100,000 Monks in next-to-last with under 80,000 Artificers. This contrasts far more from the Baldur’s Gate 3 first weekend data as the top five classes for the game were Paladin, Sorcerer, Warlock, Rogue, and Bard.

5.jpg

And the most important choices for new characters, the names. Bob is still the top choice for names with Link, Saraphina, and Lyra seeing the most growth and Bruno, Eddie, and Rando seeing the biggest declines from last year.

Putting that together, it means the most commonly created character on D&D Beyond is Bob the Human Fighter. A joke going as far back as I can remember in RPGs is, in fact, reality proven by hard statistics.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Oofta

Legend
Haven't had much time to look, but DDB has released a new set of statistics. Not sure there's too much difference from numbers we've seen before. Species (races) are still human, elf, tiefling, half-elf, dwarf, halflings, etc. Fighters are still the most popular by quite a bit followed by rogues and barbarians.

In any case, if you're curious DDB look back at 2023 statistics

species.jpg

classes.jpg

EDIT:
For those that are bothered by the weird scaling, I redid it using the same scale for the entire chart. Puts things in a little better perspective for me.
Species Redone.jpg

Classes redone.jpg

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
No huge shockers there, especially once I noticed the sliding scales. Pretty good class parity, aside from artificers, which are not core to the PHB. Fighters used to be much farther ahead.

Oofta

Legend
No huge shockers there, especially once I noticed the sliding scales. Pretty good class parity, aside from artificers, which are not core to the PHB. Fighters used to be much farther ahead.
Were fighters further ahead? The scale is a bit weird. In any case, not a surprise that they're still popular.

Oofta

Legend
I don't think the comment was aimed at you specifically. There is absolutely a subset of players who don't like any race outside of the Tolkien-based norm.
There's a difference between having a curated list of species for a home campaign (which I do) and not liking specific races. I assume that they were alluding the people have have a limited list allowed for a home game as "not liking" those races. Liking or not liking a race has nothing to do with it.

Remove ads

Remove ads