D&D 5E D&D Team Productivity?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it's structured in a way to make the people of that "same pool of talent" avoid it then it does not pull from "that same pool of talent" or remain the same in any essence.
The DMsGuild isn't hurting for material, from what I can see, and WotC is recruiting from the authors there. There may be people who do not want to accept WotC's terms, but there were people who didn't want to submit to TSR for their magazine, either.

There is a difference between "WOTC isn't making stuff" vs "WOTC isn't making the stuff I want." What we want WOTC to make varies from person to person. I think that's a different subject from how much WOTC should produce.

We also need to define productivity. Is it number of releases? Word count? Amount of feats/items/subclasses?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Out of curiosity I checked out the Table of Contents of a random old issue of Dragon. Issue 22 to be precise.

It has three articles by Gary Gygax, one review by Gary Gygax (I assume not D&D related), and an unattributed 12 page spread of "DMG Sneak Preview" material from the upcoming book. The rest of the magazine is authors whose names are unknown to me.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
@Urriak Uruk I was bewildered the first time I saw it mentioned too, it's not as far out or tinfoil has as it sounds though. Here's a good start on why ;)

Interesting article, but it does seem like they used the word esport too loosely there (they even mention how Hasbro later clarified it). It's most just saying how D&D is becoming more popular digitally, either for viewing or for playing online. But it's still largely a cooperative game, not competitive, which does make it ill-suited for esports. And in the recent releases, it doesn't seem like that's changing to be more competitive either. I'm not even sure it's becoming much more digital friendly; that path is being forged by Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and DND Beyond, not so much WotC.

There is a difference between "WOTC isn't making stuff" vs "WOTC isn't making the stuff I want." What we want WOTC to make varies from person to person. I think that's a different subject from how much WOTC should produce.

We also need to define productivity. Is it number of releases? Word count? Amount of feats/items/subclasses?
Yes. I was saying something similar earlier.

Reading what people wish WOTC were doing, I think really the fact that they're not doing those things is probably less to with productivity and more to do with the fact that WOTC have made deliberate decisions not to go in certain directions.

Remove ads