D&D General D&D TV Show Announced

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I always thought a D&D campaign would work better as a TV series than as a movie(s). It works for Critical Role (which I know is different), so I think it's a good idea. That is, as long as it is good (production, acting, special effects, characters, plot, etc).

I don't care what the setting is, they're probably going to go for one of the more classic settings (Forgotten Realms, probably). They're almost definitely not going to do Dark Sun or Spelljammer or Ravenloft, or other more "gonzo" or gloomy settings. I think the tone will probably be more similar to Critical Role, the Mandalorian, or the MCU, with a general serious tone, but some more comedic aspects. That's what I'd prefer, at least.

I think it could work if it is done well.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A D&D TV show has not been announced.

That's a long article, but here is the entire quote from the quarterly earnings call that it's based on: "The team is busy working on the Dungeons & Dragons live action feature film. They’re also working on a couple of different approaches, because there’s so much mythology in Canon to Dungeons & Dragons for live action television. And there’s been very strong interest. We’ve talked about how many global streamers and other terrestrial broadcasters have been very interested in Dungeons & Dragons.”

glass

(he, him)
A D&D TV show has not been announced.

That's a long article, but here is the entire quote from the quarterly earnings call that it's based on: "The team is busy working on the Dungeons & Dragons live action feature film. They’re also working on a couple of different approaches, because there’s so much mythology in Canon to Dungeons & Dragons for live action television. And there’s been very strong interest. We’ve talked about how many global streamers and other terrestrial broadcasters have been very interested in Dungeons & Dragons.”
A Hasbro big cheese has said in a public statement that they are working on "a couple of approaches" to TV series. How is that not an announcement?

_
glass.

The true goal is to promote the brand. If they don't lose money and Hasbro can sell more merchandising based in D&D, this will be happy.

Today action live production with lots of FXs are easier, but the key is the right story. We know the Mandalorian serie is very popular, or Rogue One, but the last movie trilogy....

Even Disney, one of the best blockbuster producer can fail sometimes.

Fans of "Games of Thrones" would be ready to see "Birthright", if the story was enough good...if it was.

My opinion is Ravenloft would be the easiest option to be produced into action-live. But producers could ask some change about the lore to allow dark powers causing troubles in some modern technology setting, something like "the mask of the red death" in the pulp age, or a zombie postapocalypse alternate future. (I am not talking about a crossover with the Walking Dead).

My suggestion is a movie as an one-shot story, and a CGI animated serie with characters totally new, magic with no-lethal effects (hold person, sleep, web, grease) and little female humanoids as an affectionate parody of the maho-shojo/magical girls.

Sometimes I imagine Hasbro with a licencing deal with White Wolf/Onyx Path for a cartoon adaptation of Pugmire. (I know that is a fool idea, but at least telling it is fun)

Zardnaar

Legend
Movie or TV deal is more or less wishful thinking at this.

Basically if either comes out in the near future I'll upload a video drinking Baltika 9 out of my shoe.

Remove ads