D&D using Ars Magica Magic System

Wraith101

First Post
I was wondering if anyone used this combination. I am and are finding it really interesting. The freeform aspect really rocks but I am finding it's a bit underpowered.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use Ars Magica in DnD or share your experiences with the system.

Yair

Community Supporter
I have no experience with that, although I do have some the other way around (playing ArM with DnD combat).
I was wondering, though - what "learning rules" do you use for the Arts? And for affinities (do you you use affinities)?

I am a big fan of the ArM magic system, although I prefer the ArM3 system of no-spell-guidelines, and the ArM4 Mystrires additions.

gpetruc

First Post
One idea I had for adapting Ars Magica to D&D was to have magicians buy ranks in magical skills (the ones for casting spells) at a reduced cost (1/2 ? 1/3 ?).
In that way they can have a good number of spell skills, but they can't drop one of them to get a fully-maxed D&D skill.

Anyway now I've dropped the project, but I'm looking forwards in doing a skill-based version of Elements of Magic when the revision comes out.

Starman

Adventurer
There is a website with fairly extensive conversion notes here. I haven't tried them out myself, so I can't vouch for the quality. It looks pretty good with a quick glance, though.

Starman

Last edited:

Remove ads