D&D General D&D vs. Anime

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Any of y’all who like both D&D and anime, I highly recommend the manga Delicious in Dungeon. In a nutshell, it’s about a D&D party who run out of rations in an Undermountain-like megadungeon and decide to start eating the monsters they kill. It is... one of the best depictions of D&D I’ve seen in any medium other than actual D&D.

MGibster

Legend
I've enjoyed various anime over the years but I don't think of myself as an anime fan with the last series I watched being Cowboy Bebop back in 1999 or 2000. I used to own the series on DVD along with Record of Lodoss War (itself inspired by D&D). Of course back in the 80s we had Robotech, Voltron, and MTV started playing Speed Racer in the early 90s. I've enjoyed some anime movies, but the last one I can remember watching is Princess Mononoke about twenty years ago.

But I never really connected D&D to anime fandom in any meaningful way. Even today, most the people I game with aren't what I'd call anime fans even if they like some anime. In fact, in the last twenty years I've only had one or two regular players who I can recall had a keen interest in anime.

MGibster

Legend
In all seriousness, I've sometimes wondered about the media that the current generation of D&D players consumed in their formative years. Dragon Ball Z is utter nonsense to me that makes me want to yell "Get off my lawn!" but I can't deny its popularity. Gygax and others were inspired by the likes of Conan, Jason and the Argonauts, The Dying Earth, Lord of the Rings (even if he denied it at times), and others. The current crop of players were influenced by Harry Potter, Dragon Ball Z, and whatever else those young people are into these days and I wonder if it makes a difference in what they expect from the game and how they play.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That's not the current crop, that's the generation before.
Yeah, Harry Potter and DBZ are my generation (on the older side of millennial). The new crop are very young millennials and gen Z, who grew up on... Umm... I don’t know, My Hero Academia? Hunger Games? I’m actually too old to know what’s cool these days.

Mirtek

Hero
Yeah, Harry Potter and DBZ are my generation (on the older side of millennial). The new crop are very young millennials and gen Z, who grew up on... Umm... I don’t know, My Hero Academia? Hunger Games? I’m actually too old to know what’s cool these days.

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you

:)

jasper

Rotten DM
I watch anime out of boredom or when some of my friends recommend them. I do recommend DMs who play with diverse age groups is to ask each person their favorite shows, and watch them. That way you can short hand some scenes. Ex. You remember the dinner scene from Beverly Hillbillies. ETc.

Remove ads