D&D 5E D&D without ability scores and separating Ancestry & Culture

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The whole idea of this was to have a single vector approach to see of that could be made to work. I'm not really aware of many RPGs that really do it (savage worlds has a hybrid model).

Sonetimes this may not make sense, but ability scores are an abstraction that don't always make sense either (like an acrobat being good at picking pockets).
To see if a skill-based system could work? I'll save you the trouble: they do.

Ability scores don't always make sense, but there's a serious problem with removing them from D&D: most of the game is built on ability scores. If there's an ability problem, you're better off with some band-aids than you are removing the patient's respiratory system.

I agree that every class should have at least one expertise. That would be the other way i would use implement a variant as it then makes the skill bonus more relevant than the ability score.

I'm personally fine with allowing free choice with the understanding of discussion within the group (so you could have the fighter with history expertise for example), but class niche protection is much more in theme with standard d&d design philosophy for sure.
Give every class an expertise and you're effectively nerfing rogues and bards. Plus, it wasn't the best idea to begin with, because it goes against the bounded accuracy philosophy. Just sayin'.

Remove ads