• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D3.5e Ravenloft - When Black Roses Bloom (Recruiting players)

The_Magician

First Post
Title: When Black Roses Bloom
Setting: Ravenloft
System: D&D 3.5E
Turns per week: 4+
Party size: 4 players

Introduction:

The horses speed along the leaves-covered track in the middle of the woods. It's late at night, when the wild life is quiet, sinister, and represented by creepy sounds and glowing eyes. The riders kick the side of their horses to speed them up and move out of there as soon as possible, and the animals promptly respond, not willing to stay there any longer than their masters.

Four brave souls without a destiny. Their fates lie in random encounters, dark ruined temples, dangerous deserted crossroads, up the highest mountains and down the deepest caverns.

Things weren't always that way for them. There was a time when they had a leader. A level-headed companion, capable of taking the best decisions in the most complicated situations. Someone who has saved their lives inumerous times with nothing but common sense, and a few other times with irresponsibly crazy ideas that, luckly for them, have worked out fine. Then it happened. It came a day when their leader gave his life to save the lives of the other four. Ever since then, they've become more reckless, misguided, as if waiting to be punished for failing their leader, for unworthingly accepting his sacrifice. A sense of guilt that they could manage to cloud, from time to time, either by constantly putting their lives on the edge, or just by consuming lots and lots of alcohol. A new sin to replace an old one... but the sense of guilt would never cease to haunt them...

The temperature suddenly drops and the air becomes chilly. All around them a little mist appears amidst the trees and bushes, and soon it's completely covering the track on which they ride. They pull the reins and halt their mounts as they see something up ahead. A translucent image of a man moves in their direction. Many years ago, they would be reaching for their weapons and preparing their spells, but today, they just don't care. They purposefully leave their guards down to the last possible minute.

Once the translucent image of the man gets close enough, their eyes widen with disbelief, and they feel like turning their horses around and fleeing. Infront of them stands the ghost of their leader. Is it back to haunt them? To punish them for their cowardice? The ghost doesn't speak. It doesn't say what it's doing there. It only stares at them, till it makes sure they recognise him, then it turns around and moves towards the mists. The four riders hesitate a bit, but soon a feeling reach their hearts. A feeling they had forgotten, but that now is back. Their leader is back, and he is guiding them once again.

Four brave souls with a destiny. Their fate lies in their hands... in the misty realms of Ravenloft...

Welcome:

This is one of the most classical ravenloft official adventures ever! It's a 2nd ed adventure I am converting to 3.5E, set in the domain of Sithicus, land of one of the greatest villains ever created for D&D. Lord Soth. If you feel like being part of this thrilling game, read up the rules for character creation!

Character Creation Rules:

a) ECL 6;

b) Starting gold is 13,000gp;

c) No evil characters allowed;

d) Books allowed: PHB 3.5E, DMG 3.5E, and all the Complete books;

e) Use 28 points in the standard point buy system, adding racial adjustment afterwards;

f) Background is a must, but focus on your character alone. Your character is one of the four riders described at the Introduction. You don;t need to write about your adventures together with them. I am more interested in knowing your character's history and how he/she ended up meeting with the others.

g) Your character can't be from Ravenloft, neither is he familiar with it.

Deadline: August 31st

Rino

First Post
i like the idea.

the thing it could play is some halfer with an attitude problem, but very usefull in the group, or ranger who lives on/for his mount.

gabrion

First Post
This game sounds very interesting, but I have a question.

g) Your character can't be from Ravenloft, neither is he familiar with it.

What if I'm not familiar with Ravenloft? Is that something the players should know before joining? If such knowledge is not needed, I will try to come up with a background for a cleric of some kind.

The_Magician

First Post
I don't know about other Ravenloft DMs out there, but I love to DM to players not familiar with Ravenloft, because they don't know what to expect. =D So, no, not being familiar with ravenloft is not a problem. =P

Dichotomy

Explorer
Here is my character sheet thus far.

[Edit: sheet updated. All that remains is to pick spells and perhaps a few odds and ends.]

Sblocked for space.
[sblock][size=-1]Aeron, the Last Prophet of Caria
Male Human Cleric of Pelor 6
NG

Str 12 -- (4 pts)
Dex 8 -- (0 pts)
Con 12 -- (4 pts)
Int 12 -- (4 pts)
Wis 17 -- (10 pts + lvl)
Cha 14 -- (6 pts)

Hit Points 9 + (5d8+5)
AC 20 (+8 full plate, +2 heavy steel shield, -1 Dex, +1 deflection), Touch 10, Flat 20
Init -1
BAB +4, Grap +5
Speed 20 (base 30, load 83.5/43, heavy armor)
Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +9

+5 Melee, silvered heavy mace, 1d8, 20/x2
+5 Melee, club, 1d6+1, 20/x2

Medium, 5'8", 170 lbs., 26 yrs old
Black hair, Blue eyes, Pale skin

Speaks common and celestial

+10 Concentration (9 + 1 Con)
+8 Heal (5 + 3 Wis)
+10 Knowledge (religion) (9 + 1 Int) synergy to turning checks
+10 Knowledge (planes) (9 + 1 Int)
+1 Ride (2cc – 1 Dex)

Feats
-Extra Turning
-Improved Turning
-Extend Spell
-Persistent Spell

Human Traits
-Bonus feat and skill

Cleric Abilities
-Aura (Ex): aura of good
-Glory Domain: +2 on turning checks and +1d6 turning damage
-Sun Domain: 1/day greater turning in place of regular turning (undead normally turned are destroyed)
-Spontaneous Casting: can spontaneously cast cure spells by losing prepared spells
-Turn Undead (Su): as level 7 cleric; 9 times/day; 1d20+9 (+ 2 Cha + 2 Know [rel] + 2 glory domain + 3 competence); 3d6+9 turning damage

Spells Prepared
0th-

Full Plate (worn, 50 lb) 1500 gp
Cleric’s Vestments (worn, 0 lb) 0gp
Silver Holy Symbol (worn around neck, 1 lb) 25 gp
Wooden Holy Symbol (worn, ring on right 3rd finger, 0 lb) 1 gp

Club (belt left, 3 lb) 0 gp
Heavy Mace (belt right, 8 lb) 12 gp
Scroll Case (belt front, 0.5 lb) 1 gp
Wand of Cure Light Wounds, 50 charges (belt rear, 0 lb) 750 gp

Heward’s Handy Haversack (center back, 5 lb) 2000 gp
Heavy Steel Shield (strapped to haversack, 15 lb) 20 gp

Circlet of Persuasion (head) 4500 gp
Cloak of Resistance +1 (worn, 1 lb) 1000 gp
Ring of Protection +1 (left 2nd finger) 2000 gp

Bedroll (haversack, 5 lb) 0.1 gp
Mirror, small steel (haversack, 0.5 lb) 10 gp
Rations, 10 days (haversack, 10 lb) 5 gp
Waterskin (haversack, 4 lb) 1 gp
Everburning Torch (haversack, 1 lb) 110 gp
Holy Water x 4 (haversack, 4 lb) 100 gp
Healer’s Kit, 10 uses (haversack, 1 lb) 50 gp
Feed, for horse, 5 days (haversack, 50 lb) 0.25 gp

Heavy Warhorse (292.5/300 lb) 400 gp
Bit & Bridle (on horse, 1 lb) 2 gp
Military Saddle (on horse, 30 lb) 20 gp
Saddlebags (on horse, 8 lb) 4 gp

Coins- 398 gp, 6 sp, 5 cp (haversack)

Background: Aeron was born and raised in the secluded community of Caria, of about only 60 adults (and fewer children). His community was virtually unknown to the rest of the world, and the world was unknown or ignored by the community. The small village was entirely self-sufficient, surviving by foraging, hunting, and gardening. Because of this, Aeron, and all the children of the community, were essentially reared by the whole village, and all the children were like siblings.

Being so small, the village had only one figure of authority: the Prophet. The Prophet was not even truly an authority figure, in the traditional sense, in that he/she was more of a councilor, teacher, and mediator rather than a ruler. The Prophet was also blessed with some small ability to heal. While the Prophet, and indeed the village as a whole, did not worship any deity (they didn’t believe such existed), they venerated the land and the “sun spirit” as the force behind their lives. It was believed to be this force that gave the Prophet power and wisdom. The only thing binding a Prophet was that at some time the Prophet would foresee his/her own death and, knowing it to be coming soon, would choose a replacement. The Prophets always said that the sun spirit would tell them to whom they should pass the role.

Even when Aeron was a young child, some of the villagers believed that he would be destined to be the Prophet some day. He had a natural intuition, almost like a sixth sense. He was also good at aiding others. Aeron helped tend the ill, and sometimes predicted changes in the weather. He even believed he could sometimes sense the sun spirit. Aeron also had a strong presence and character. He found ways to inspire both the children and adults. Somehow even the children that were envious of him all liked him.

Despite all of this, Aeron himself did not want to become the Prophet. As intuitive and personable as he was, he was sometimes prone to dark moods. When these odd times hit him, he wanted nothing to do with anyone. He didn't see himself as the leader of these people. Oddly, or perhaps actually not, the Prophet alone seemed to understand his plight. The current Prophet was Saevel, and he always told Aeron that if his heart longed for a solitary life, that is what he should seek. Despite the fact that Aeron did not want to become the next Prophet, he found himself more often in Saevel’s company than anyone else’s.

Because of the relationship they had forged and Saevel’s insistence that Aeron pursue his own life, Aeron felt very betrayed when Saevel pronounced one morning that the sun spirit revealed Saevel's coming death and named Aeron as his successor. Despite the fact that the villagers assumed Aeron would be the Prophet, they were also taken aback. Saevel was not even yet 45 years old, while Aeron was still a child barely past 16. Unable to contain his bitterness and sorrow, Aeron quickly ran out of the village, climbed into a tree, and cursed his life until he fell asleep. Saevel implored the people to let him go, saying that Aeron would return as the sun spirit would dictate.

Aeron awoke in the night to the sounds of his people screaming. Caria was being attacked. He ran to the edge of the village and was shocked to see a horde of fiendish monsters and undead slaughtering his people. By the light of the full moon he could well see the forms of humans lying motionless among the burning homes. He despaired. There was nothing that could be done. It seemed that it was over before he even reached the village. Aeron had decided to vanish into the forest when he saw the most horrid sight he has ever seen. In the middle of the village a walking corpse was eating the face of a dead man. But Aeron could tell by the staff lying next to the form that it was the body of Saevel. Consumed with rage, Aeron ran to grab a burning stick from one of the houses. He swiped at the corpse, and it fled. He ran out to Saevel and knelt by his desecrated form. Aeron began to sob immediately, as Saevel's blood soaked into his clothing, not even noticing the undead moving toward this one last living man. As he sobbed, one of the wicked creatures laughed. The hideous noise was only barely recognizable as such, but it was indeed a laugh.

Aeron grabbed the Prophet’s staff and slowly stood to meet the gaze of these foul creatures. Soaked in blood, face full of tears, he stood resolute before them. Saevel, the Prophet, was dead. Aeron had been named, which meant that whether he wanted or not, though his people were all dead, he was now the Prophet of Caria. Aeron summoned all his will, and in a voice steady and proud called to the creatures: “By will of the Prophet, you shall leave NOW!”

Silence. The creatures did not stir. Aeron didn’t even know if they had understood him. It was almost as if his words alone had caused them to be taken aback. Then, the monster in front laughed again. A black “something” flew at Aeron’s face. He dodged, but there was another. And then…darkness….

An odd sensation. Bumping, moving.
“Wha…”
“Not yet. Rest child.”

The sensation again. Yes, I am awake. I am being carried. Strong gentle hands.
“Yes, dear child, you may rouse for a bit.”
“S…Saevel?”
“No, my son. I am not he.”
“Let me walk. Why can I not see? Who are you?”
“Remain calm, child. Had I meant harm, it would be done by now. You cannot yet walk on your own, and your eyesight will come back soon. You will see the sun again.”
“But who are you?”
“So inquisitive. Yes, you must rest more.”

“…but I sensed something. I tell you, Father Orlpar, the boy is special.” A female voice? But I thought it was a he.
“Yes, Amra, but bring himinside. He has obviously been through a great deal.” That one is male, but not the same.
“Whe…where is the other?” Aeron softly asked.
“My goodness!” Amra exclaimed. "The boy is coming around."
“What other, child?” Orlpar asked. “There was no one with you.”
Aeron opened his eyes, and was amazed. The two standing over him where surely humans, but they looked not like his brethren. And the place he was in had an intricate feel he admired, but it was nothing like the simple work his people did. And so many people…
“Oh, Father, by the look on his face, he must be one of those reclusive folk that has never seen a city before.”
“Fear not child. You are at the house of Pelor, the Shining One.”

Aeron spent the next few years or so leaning to be a cleric of Pelor. The clergy are quite scholarly and taught him many things. He came to realize that the sun spirit that he and his people had been so connected to was in fact Pelor, and the powers the Prophets had were actually divine. He also came to think that the man who had saved him and brought him to the city may actually have been the Shining One himself. The clergy believed it to be possible as well.

He focused his main attention upon learning about the creatures that were responsible for the destruction of his people. He knows that time will give him the strength to right the wrongs that occurred.

Aeron, after training, left the city to search out the evil that he seeks to destroy. He has traveled to many places, sometimes at the mere rumor of undead. His determination is matched by his overwhelming sense of what is good.

“I thank you, sir. I don’t know what we would have done if you hadn’t found the ghost bewitching the mayor.”
“Think nothing of it, madam. No, please keep your gold. You have more need for it.”
“Thank you, sir. What did you say your name was again?”
“I am Aeron, the Last Prophet of Caria.”

In retrospect, Aeron always knew that he would adventure with others some day. He had given up the idea of settling down. His home was lost to him, and he would never have another. So his life was to wander, place to place, and try to right the wrongs of the world with Pelor as his guide.

Of course, the adventuring life is rife with peril for a lone man, even if he has faith. Aeron signed on with a couple of different adventuring bands. They always seemed to have use for a healer. It was, to them, simply an added benefit that this healer had such a passion for destroying the undead that the rest feared to approach. But Aeron acquired little satisfaction from these adventuring bands. Most simply were out for riches or fame, and usually they were young fools with too much money and too little sense.

Aeron knew right away when he saw the group leading a riderless horse into town that these folk knew their task well. They didn't have the dumb look of eager youth. Not to say they were dreary or severe, but they had a look of purpose about them. The empty horse told Aeron that they understood loss, and that they could cope with it and continue on.

Perhaps it was Pelor guiding Aeron, or perhaps it was simply strong intuition, but Aeron somehow knew that he needed to talk to this group. As they stopped before the town's inn, the leader of the group studied Aeron in his armor and with his holy symbol. The pair gazed at each others eyes.

"We could use a healer," the leader said softly. It was the same words that he always heard out of the young groups of fools. But this time, Aeron knew there was true thought in the one saying them.

"I will help as I can," Aeron flatly said. No more words needed to be exchanged. They both knew that they were looking for each other. The group didn't stay in town another minute. Aeron climbed upon the extra horse, and they were off.

Personality: To those that do not know him well, Aeron seems quite serious, perhaps even severe at times. Those that know him, however, know that he has a strong compassion that he keeps buried from harm. Most of the time Aeron is gentle, kind, and patient. He is always eager to help. However, sometimes Aeron gets in a dark mood. At these times he is just as helpful, but he is curt rather than kind. When he is in these moods he tends to act quickly and decisively, and he will not suffer "the ignorance of fools." His dark moods rarely last long, but his companions have learned to see the signs of them, and give him room and solitude when they come. They seemed to have appeared with greater frequency and lasted longer since the death of the group's leader.

Description: Aeron is of average build. His appearance varies depending upon whether he is having one of his moods. Normally, he appears well-kempt: shaved clean and armor polished. He is fairly attractive, and looks attentive to those around him. However, when Aeron is in one of his dark moods, he will neglect shaving. At these times he looks quite disheveled, and the look on his face is severe. His clear blue eyes, rather than looking attentive, seem to stare coldly through anyone that meets his gaze.[/size][/sblock]

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
I'm interested. Thinking of a Solomon Kaneish kind of character. Bad-ass Paladin or fighter-type who drinks too much. ;)

The_Magician

First Post
Glad to see people interested in it.
Dichotomy, the game will be played in Ravenloft. So your character doesn't ahve to be from any world setting, since we won;t be playing in any world. In other words, yeah, make up any places you want, if it will help you in the creation of your charater's background. =)

Remove ads