[D&D4E] Path of Enlightenment [OOC]

Voda Vosa

First Post
Nice background, it articulates perfectly with Lucky Leng story and other things you don't know about
o.o

Updating the first thread....

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Done updating, please read the additional info, most of all regarding to character creation and equipment.
Also I would appreciate some comments/opinions/tomatoes shower about the Classes notes.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I'm fine with the notes. I like the style you have going so far. I was curious though. I see Shen as a two handed weapon guy. I'm not sure about what kind of weapons we would have available to us, but I can see us having a pretty wide selection.

I'm tempted to have Shen use a bastard sword (with the feat for it) and probably carry a longspear. If that's not okay, then a long sword and a longspear.

Voda Vosa

First Post
The spear is a fine choice, a widely used weapon in china as are halbreds (gundaos actually).
But its a good point to argue about weapons at this point:
in ancient china, swords were pretty common. I'm certain that curved swords were in fact the most commonly used sword, but there were long and short swords, and certainly, daggers and katars. Although I have no idea of nothing related with bastard swords, will appreciate some info before saying yes to it.

I was forgoting: A map of the school, the large building is the students dormitories, the smaller building is Master Jiems house. The three small rounded buildings are meditation pagodas (like this, but rounded and Chinese.) and the bigger is a shrine, dedicated to the pantheons of gods. The round circle in the middle is the practice arena, made of sand. the ground is covered with grass and dirt, the big green things are trees, and the small ones, bushes. Hope you like it.
[sblock= MAP]
escuelawx3.jpg
[/sblock]

Island of Spinging Spring:
The yellow dashes are roads. the blue thing is the ocean, and the roky things are mountains. Well it's self explanatory.
[sblock= Island Map]
islaky3.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
There's a scene with what looks like a bastard sword in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

I think I see Leng as a using a single sword, like most of the fight scenes in CTHD. I kind of wish there was a way to emulate a shield with that empty hand; some kind of Open Palm Defense style perhaps, but then we'd have to make up rules on how to enhance it to keep up with a shield as time goes by. Hmm... how about a series of rituals, whose prices and effects are the same as those of magic shields? E.g. to learn the Stone Palm technique, you pay a monk to perform a ritual, and the cost and effect are identical to that of a +1 shield?

If that sounds too complicated, we could just use the rules for a two-handed sword instead, and agree to visualize it as a single sword plus an empty hand.

Zweischneid

First Post
[sblock=Vosa Vosa]

Got a question I came across writing some background for my character Koryo.

The story notes that the battle where Mastermind Tien died took place 17 years ago. In turn, the character #4 backstory notes that my character and his friend became disenchanted with the Black Viel when 'Mask' took over (presumably a little after that).

Now assuming that an up-and coming Black Veil spy/assassin joins the order as full member in his teenage years, assuming Koryo got to know the old 'regime' for a short few years at least, he'd need to be around 18 years or so I'd presume when Mastermind Tien died and he fled. Take 17 years in hiding, my character would be at least 35 years old by now and thus - for a medieval china setting - already well past his prime and well into the middle years.

So the question is, is that intentional? Do we play a 'aged-guys-get-back-together-campaign'? Do humans age more slowly/live longer in the setting as heroes/martial artists?

Thanks...

[sblock=Koryo.. starting a story]
Koryo of Tiger’s Rest

Koryo, an orphan by birth and raised from his earliest days to serve the Black Veil, only had one true friend in life – Daejo. Both were brought up in the same orphanage. Koryo and Daejo, both known for mischief and clever tricks they played on the other kids, almost as soon as they could walk on their own, were noted for their behaviour by the imperial housemaster of the orphanage and subsequently marked for special training to serve the needs of the empire. Where most orphans, depending on their disposition, end up either in military or administrative services of the Great Empire, both Koryo and Daejo were tried and tested and eventually ascended to a hidden school and monastery in the distant Shadow Cloud Mountains. This hidden, nameless monastery schooled and trained children in the arts of subterfuge, espionage and assassination. Those who survived and prospered became spies and assassins of the Black Veil.

Though life at the school was hard, merciless at times and many children failed to complete their training, both Koryo and Daejo prospered, even excelled in the ways of the Black Veil. Their childhood friendship grew into youthful camaraderie and competitive companionship.

[to be continued]
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I was pretty much using 3.5e's suggestion for a katana. It's basically a bastard sword with oriental flare. I'm not really sure what a katana would be considered in 4e. The sword in CTHD I would assume to be a long sword of some type, probably a Tai Chi sword. I would think if you wanted to use that sword it would be under long sword stats.

My vote would be to pick an actual Oriental sword type.... then relate it to the 4e stats as best we can. I think the reasoning for the katana being a bastard sword is simply that you do not have to wield it in both hands, but you had better be pretty well trained to use it one handed.

I love the idea of a Stone Palm technique. Maybe it would be a "clan secret" or something. I'm not too sure though, totally up to Voda Vosa (as all of this is :) )

covaithe

Explorer
Wikipedia has a pretty good list of chinese swords. The CTHD sword is a jian, which seems pretty unambiguously longsword-like. There's also the dao, which probably maps pretty well to a scimitar. I could see using that, too. The picture for two-handed swords is less clear. The page for jian hints that there were larger two-handed versions, but also suggests that they were only for practice. (wtf? Why would you practice with a kind of sword you weren't going to use?) There's the dadao, which is definitely two-handed, but also kind of goofy-looking. I think that mostly, the Chinese preferred polearms to two-handed swords. Which makes some sense; they would have used less metal and have been easier to make.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I will answer all your questions later on today, I have no time now, but I have red them, and I'm considering them now.

Last edited:

Remove ads