• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D4E] Path of Enlightenment [OOC]

Zweischneid

First Post
Koryo of Tiger's Rest

Koryo of Tiger's Rest
Male Human Rogue 2

You think you know everything about me? Only fools know everything!
Lithe and lissom is a small man of about 35 years. He is dressed in light, wide-cut black clothes and black-and-white cotton-sole shoes. His long black hair, shot with first grey, is bound in a braid and he sports a fine, pencil-thin beard. His attentive black eyes rarely miss anything. He carries himself with disciplined grace. His wide clothes and belt could easily conceal shuriken and daggers.

[sblock=Background (w/spoilers)]
Koryo of Tiger’s Rest
Koryo, an orphan by birth and raised from his earliest days to serve the Black Veil, only had one true friend in life – Daejo. Both were brought up in the same orphanage. Koryo and Daejo, both known for mischief and clever tricks they played on the other kids, almost as soon as they could walk on their own, were noted for their behaviour by the imperial housemaster of the orphanage and subsequently marked for special training to serve the needs of the empire. Where most orphans, depending on their disposition, end up either in military or administrative services of the Great Empire, both Koryo and Daejo were tried and tested and eventually ascended to a hidden school and monastery in the distant Shadow Cloud Mountains. This hidden, nameless monastery schooled and trained children in the arts of subterfuge, espionage and assassination. Those who survived and prospered became spies and assassins of the Black Veil.

Though life at the school was hard, merciless at times and many children failed to complete their training, both Koryo and Daejo prospered, even excelled in the ways of the Black Veil. Their childhood friendship grew into youthful camaraderie and competitive companionship. In time, both were initiated into the secret order, taking up the secretive work of the assassin’s order.

Koryo, ever the more driven and ambitious of the two friends quickly rose in rank and reputation. Daejo, though equally skilled, eventually found love and purpose in the arms of a beautiful woman. Eventually they married and had a son. Dark fortune came upon the two friends when Mastermind Tien died and ‘Mask’ took over the order. Daejo, sensing the cruel streak of the new head assassin urged Koryo early on to part ways with the Black Veil. Koryo, denying the subtle early changes within the ways of the assassins order persuaded his friend – and his family – to stay. But ‘Mask’ was a man of cruel and fickle temper. In a nefarious scheme to rid the Black Veil of traitors and disloyal man, Daejo, having talked about disbanding the order once to often, was singled out to be assassinated. Black-clad figures descended upon the humble town-house where Daejo lived with his family, outside the Black Veil’s monastery. Daejo and Koryo, who came aware of the assassination at the last moment, fought off the assassins, but not before a poisoned throwing knife took the life Daejo’s beautiful young wife.

Before sunrise, Koryo, Daejo and Areum where gone and well out of sight of the city. They fled to the eastern islands, fighting pursuers and robbers all the way. But even though accusations where never spoken, the death of Daejo’s wife stood heavy between the two friends. Having persuaded Daejo and his family to stay, Koryo couldn’t help but feel responsibility for the women’s death by assassin’s poison. Eventually, the friends parted ways and Koryo settled in Tiger’s rest, where he lived, many years, in the solitude of the large islands lush forests, thinking, meditating, and contemplating.

Eventually, Koryo slowly grew back into a life of sorts, taking up businesses with the people of the island. Still, now in his middle ages, still lithe and muscular from the daily exercises of demanding martial art forms, he remains a withdrawn man, reluctant to engage with people for fear of harming them unintentionally.[/sblock][sblock=Abilities]
Code:
[U]Ability scores[/U]
Strength     : [B]15 (+2)[/B]     Hit points : [B]36[/B]
Constitution : [B]14 (+2)[/B]     Bloodied   : [B]18[/B] 
Dexterity    : [B]18 (+4) [/B]    Surges     : [B] 9[/B]
Intelligence : [B]10 [/B]         Surges/day : [B] 8[/B]     
Wisdom       : [B]12 (+1) [/B]    Initiative : [B]+4[/B]
Charisma     : [B]10 [/B]     

[U]Defenses:[/U]
Armour class : [B]17 [/B]
Fortitude    : [B]14[/B] 
Reflex       : [B]18[/B] 
Will         : [B]13[/B]

[U]Skills[/U]
Acrobatics (Dex): [B]+10 [/B] (trained)
Athletics  (Str): [B]+ 8 [/B] (trained)
Bluff      (Cha): [B]+ 6 [/B] (trained)
Perception (Wis): [B]+ 7 [/B] (trained, Bonus skill)
Stealth    (Dex): [B]+10 [/B] (trained)
Streetwise (Cha): [B]+ 6 [/B] (trained)
Thievery   (Dex): [B]+10 [/B] (trained)
Languages:
Common, ??

Racial traits
Bonus at-Will power, Bonus feat, Bonus skill, Human Defense Bonus

Class features
Brutal scoundrel, first strike, rogue weapon talent, sneak attack (2d6 +2)

Feats
Action Surge, Toughness, Suprise Knockdown

Training
Innate Martial Arts, Martial Arts Training, Channel Chi

Weapon Proficiency:
Dagger, hand crossbow, shuriken, sling, short sword

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal[/sblock][sblock=Powers]
Basic attack
Unarmed (Innate martial arts)
:bmelee: Attack: +6 vs. AC; Damage: 1d4 +2

Dagger
:bmelee: Attack: +7 vs. AC; Damage: 1d4 +2

Shuriken
:ranged: Attack: +7 vs. AC; Damage: 1d6 + 4
At-will:
Deft Strike (Class)
:melee: Standard Action; Attack: +9 vs. AC Damage: 1d4 +4

Riposte Strike (Class)
:melee: Standard Action; Attack: +9 vs. AC Damage: 1d4 +4
-- riposte if attacked next turn --

Piercing Strike (Class)
:melee: Standard Action; Attack: +9 vs. Reflex Damage: 1d4 +4
A needle-sharp point slips past armour into tender flesh
Encounter:

Channeling Chi (Training)
Channeling Chi will allow you to harm ghosts and spirits with your unarmed attack. If you attack living beings, you get a +1 force damage to your damage rolls. Channel Chi is an encounter power that you can use if you are not bloodied, since it requires great amount of concentration. It last a number or rounds equal to your wisdom score, or until you get bloodied

Dazing Strike (Class)
:melee: Standard Action, Attack: +9 vs. AC Damage: 1d4 +4
--- target dazed ---​
Daily:
Blinding Barrage (Class)
:close: Standard Action; Attack: +9 vs. AC Damage: 2d6 +4
--- target is blinded until the end of next turn (half damage on miss) ---​
Utility:
Great Leap (Class)
You leap a great distance without a running start
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Koryo is approved.
Also note that I have started the IC thread. There is also a line for Koryo, since you have finish him early that I thought ^^
It's a pety we don't have a third player.. we could speed up things a bit.

Last edited:

Nightbreeze

First Post
I would enjoy playing a warlock. Is that ok for you? Will think about personality and description. By the way, 25pt by the new rules, right? (meaning, starting is 8, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10)

Scotley

Hero
Hi Voda Vosa, still looking to fill the 5th spot? I'd be interested in playing a cleric or paladin. What did you have in mind as far as Oriental flavor for those classes?

Nightbreeze

First Post
Zweischneid, I am shamelessly copying your template :)

Kaoru the Airhead
Male Human Warlock 2

Great are the mysteries of nature, and even greater is the mystery of man. Now, give me a hand with this bread
Judging by his height, Kaoru is clearly a man in his early twenties, but his carefully shaved and soft, almost baby-like face, and his usual merry smile make him look a lot younger. He carries long raven-black hair and his brown eyes. He wears simple white and green clothes.

[sblock=Background and personality]
Kaoru the Airhead
Kaoru was brought on the island as an infant, by the same man that murdered his family. That man was stopped, and sadly, killed by master Jiem. Since then, Kaoru was brought up by the master, but was not trained in martial arts, even if he showed some promise.

Some could say that he was raised as a spoiled child, since apparently he had no duties, but that doesn't happens for two reasons: first of all, he always offers help to whoever is willing to accept it, and thus you can often see him working with other people. Besides, he has assumed the habits of a contemplative, often engaging in deep reflections about the nature of world and mankind with master Jien.
The second reason for which he is not called "spoiler brat" is simply that fact that everyone likes him: his open personality and merry smile often bring laughter to the most worried of minds. Women of all ages adore him, male adults appreciate his willingness to help and his maturity and the other students love his company. Even his few rivals and envy-holders have to grudgingly admit that "you can't dislike the man". Because of that, he often gets favors that other don't even dare to ask: for example, the other students built him a house even when no one asked them to do it.

While everyone knows that Kaoru seems to be gifted with strange abilities, out of politeness no one speaks about it, and he doesn't display it. He is gifted with the ability to commune with ancient spirits of the nature, and from the he draws inspiration and powers. He has never used them, but sometimes he has dreamed about using them in battle, and these dreams unnerve him.

When not helping someone else, he increasingly spends his time studying, and is well versed in history, philosophy and religion.

Although very often other people cook for him in exchange for his help, he often cooks on his own, especially bread: he always makes a lot of bread and offers it to the students of his master, for a pleasant rest. Then, he challenges someone at the lying game, and while he is exceptionally good at lying, he is poor in spotting lies.

[/sblock][sblock=Abilities]
Code:
[U]Ability scores[/U]
Strength     : [B]10 (+0)[/B]     Hit points : [B]19[/B]
Constitution : [B]14 (+2)[/B]     Bloodied   : [B]9[/B] 
Dexterity    : [B]14 (+2) [/B]    Surges     : [B] 4[/B]
Intelligence : [B]14 (+2)[/B]         Surges/day : [B] 8[/B]     
Wisdom       : [B]11 (+0) [/B]    Initiative : [B]+0[/B]
Charisma     : [B]20 (+5)[/B]     

[U]Defenses:[/U]
Armour class : [B]12 [/B]
Fortitude    : [B]14[/B] 
Reflex       : [B]15[/B] 
Will         : [B]13[/B]

[U]Skills[/U]
Arcana (Int):     [B]+11 [/B] (trained)
Bluff (Cha):      [B]+11 [/B] (trained)
History (Int):    [B]+ 8 [/B] (trained)
Religion (Int):   [B]+ 8 [/B] (trained)
Streetwise (Cha): [B]+11 [/B] (trained)
Diplomacy (Cha):  [B]+11 [/B] (trained, Bonus skill)
Languages:
Common, ??

Racial traits
Bonus at-Will power, Bonus feat, Bonus skill, Human Defense Bonus

Class features
Eldritch blast, Eldritch pact, Prime shot, Shadow walk, Warlock's curse

Feats
Ritual caster, Skill focus: arcana, Skill training: diplomacy

Training
Innate martial training, Channel chi, Chi blast

Weapon Proficiency:
Simple

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal[/sblock][sblock=Powers]

:bmelee: Unarmed attack: +3 vs CA, 1d4 dmg[/COLOR]

:ranged:10 Eldritch blast: +5 vs Reflex, Hit: 1d10+5 dmg

:ranged:10 Eyebite: +5 vs Will, Hit: 1d6+5 psychic dmg, and invisible to the opponent until the start of my next turn.

:ranged:10 Witchfire: +5 vs Reflex, Hit: 2d6+5 fire damage, the target takes a -4 penalty to attacks until the end of my next turn.

:ranged:10 Curse of the dark dream: +5 vs Will, Hit: 3d8+5 psychic dmg and slide the target 3 squares. Sustain minor: slide the target one square, whether I hit or miss (save ends)

Beguiling tongue -I gain a +5 to the next Bluff, Diplomacy or Intimidate check that I make during this encounter.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
[sblock= Notes for Zweischneid]
I made a mistake, me bad: Daejo's child was a boy, not a girld. I'll correct the mischief in the IC thread, so please edit your post as well. Sorry :p
BTW, nice role playing there.[/sblock]

Nightbreeze: Kaoru looks good, nice background. You receive innate martial training and Channel Chi training. You would do well in list your unarmed basic attack. As for equipment, you have a gun and a leather armor too.

Scotley: The 5th character will appear late on, but if you are interested in saving the spot, it's perfectly fine with me.
I had some thoughts about these 2 clases, that are quite different:
I see clerics similar to warlocks and wizards, they wield strange powers common people do not quite understand. Clerics in this setting would be much more like a town healer or sorcerer with curative powers. Also I see them fitting in the role of monks, in monasteries, that would give them some martial competence. That would be a role better adjusted to the 5th character.
For paladins, well, they are certainly proud honorable warriors that fight against evil. They may serve in monasteries dedicated to a specific deity as well as monasteries that worship all the gods. They might fit nice in the roles that japanese samurais had, and fight for their lord, because in china, the emperor is close to the gods. He’s a divine entity, and as such, he might have paladins fighting for his cause as well as clerics.
Paladins might be versed in swords of any kind, and clerics could be martial artists and use staffs (much like a Shaolin monk).
What do you (and the others of course) think? Thoughts? Ideas? I’m totally open minded about this (anda all of the other) part, so give any ideas you think might improve the setting.

Scotley

Hero
Very intriguing possibilities. I would definitely be interested in the 5th spot when you are ready to add it.

I am getting an image of local healer/sorcerer who reinforces the tenets of the religion with the occasional slap or blow of his staff. I'll have a look at the cleric powers and see what I can come up with.

A samurai paladin would be easier, but perhaps not as much fun. I think that would be my second choice if I can't make the cleric powers work.

How much later do you plan to add #5? I'll likely go ahead and get the character ready and just wait in the wings for my cue. I'm involved with other games, so I'm in no particular hurry. I just want to do some experimenting with 4e and I enjoy the oriental setting.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I don't know how much time will excactly pass, it depends primary on the speed of posting. But take your time, think about it, make some scraps, a story, and all, I'll be happy to read and comment about them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads