D&D General D&Difying History

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The closest I've come is a short "alt history" campaign, where history (and the relevant mythology) was historical up to a particular point, after which the game-world diverged from our real history.

That setting was Viking-world circa 1000AD. The overarching campaign premise was that an executed sorceress made a deal in the afterlife to return to life, which was the event that split off the game world from real history. The system was a stripped-down D&D3.5 (something like E6 Micro20). The beginning-of-campaign constraints were "humans only, martials only, low-magic" which expanded for in-game reasons as the campaign progressed to include increasing magic and monsters.

The slow escalation of magic and monsters was straightforward to manage. I felt the main sticking point was handling real-world faiths in a setting where a specific mythology was presumptively "true." WHile I was somewhat prepped to take it a bit farther, I mostly just handwaved those issues away as just different sects/views of the same truth. And it never really came up, except as setting dressing, and none of the players (all of whom I knew well, and none of us history buffs) was bothered by it, afaik.

Mechanically, it worked reasonably well as a short-term, low-power, mythic type campaign. If I did it again, though, I'd probably seek out a different rule set.* And I wouldn't try today without players I know and/or a LOT of pre-campaign communication.

* But probably end up back on a D&D derivative for lack of players willing to try other rules.

Voadam

Legend
That setting was Viking-world circa 1000AD. The overarching campaign premise was that an executed sorceress made a deal in the afterlife to return to life, which was the event that split off the game world from real history. The system was a stripped-down D&D3.5 (something like E6 Micro20). The beginning-of-campaign constraints were "humans only, martials only, low-magic" which expanded for in-game reasons as the campaign progressed to include increasing magic and monsters.

. . .

Mechanically, it worked reasonably well as a short-term, low-power, mythic type campaign. If I did it again, though, I'd probably seek out a different rule set.* And I wouldn't try today without players I know and/or a LOT of pre-campaign communication.

* But probably end up back on a D&D derivative for lack of players willing to try other rules.
4e would do a great human martials only mythic saga D&D. DMG 2 inherent bonuses with a bunch of viking fighters, rogues, rangers, and warlords should work smoothly.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I did start writing up a world document at one point though never got to play (mostly because i get new setting ideas all the time and only the most recent gets remembered when we actually sit down to play), populating Europe and the Mediterranean with the, then current, races and creatures in 5e. I made the British Isles an elven homeland, Scandinavia had dwarves, elves, and giants, I may have subbed in goliaths as Asgardians, Greece and Rome had dryads, satyrs, centaurs, and pegasi. Humans were primarily around the Mediterranean area, halflings (I called them the children of Bes), tabaxi, and aarakocra were found in Egypt.

I also wanted to make use of the cities found in the 3e dragon magazines, those were pretty cool. There was a host of articles in old dragon mags that would have been useful for creating a real world campaign.

Those books were cool; i had the whole set. I wish it were still possible to make stuff like that.
Why isn't it possible to make historically oriented D&D materials anymore?

Seriously, with the OGL you could make historically based materials for D&D 3e/3.5e or 5e, or d20 Modern.

The last official historic D&D material I know of was the stuff for a 12th century Robin Hood campaign in one of the Dragon Magazines that came out right after 3e did in late 2000, but there's nothing I'm aware of that prohibits making it. . .just that for some reason it fell out of fashion as people went for more high-magic high-fantasy stuff than historic or low-magic gaming.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Why isn't it possible to make historically oriented D&D materials anymore?

Seriously, with the OGL you could make historically based materials for D&D 3e/3.5e or 5e, or d20 Modern.

The last official historic D&D material I know of was the stuff for a 12th century Robin Hood campaign in one of the Dragon Magazines that came out right after 3e did in late 2000, but there's nothing I'm aware of that prohibits making it. . .just that for some reason it fell out of fashion as people went for more high-magic high-fantasy stuff than historic or low-magic gaming.
Historically accurate material that isn't explicitly for educational purposes has become socially unacceptable. Apparently we'd prefer to pretend the past had the values forward-thinking 21st century folks have.

Historically accurate material that isn't explicitly for educational purposes has become socially unacceptable. Apparently we'd prefer to pretend the past had the values forward-thinking 21st century folks have.
Demonstrably false, even just within the RPG world. Castles & Crusades various Codexes based on historical cultures leap to mind as a start.

The reality in general is actually that historically INaccurate materials are less acceptable, so you can't get away with whitewashing and apologia as much anymore. We have a history of false historical beliefs, so things once considered facts no longer are, because they never actually were.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've run a Charlemagne's Paladins campaign using AD&D and the campaign sourcebook of that name (the green cover sourcebook published by TSR). It didn't last very long.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Demonstrably false, even just within the RPG world. Labyrith Lord's various Codexes based on historical cultures leap to mind as a start.

The reality in general is actually that historically INaccurate materials are less acceptable, so you can't get away with whitewashing and apologia as much anymore. We have a history of false historical beliefs, so things once considered facts no longer are, because they never actually were.
You make the product to the best of our historical understanding. You don't just stop because our understanding has changed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases