• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC "D&D's Best Year Yet"

gyor

Legend
Where America goes the rest of the world still follows. American market still the most important for D&D.

On the plus side D&D isn't AMC or Disney.

Yeah, not any more, like when Corona hit, no one looked to America for leadership at all. America isn't a superpower anymore, its an empire in decline.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, not any more, like when Corona hit, no one looked to America for leadership at all. America isn't a superpower anymore, its an empire in decline.

Seems that way.

Read an article if USA had to fight WW2 again they couldn't.

Yay.

Any Norwegian's here?

That said, I find D&D products are more resilient to economic shocks like these compared to other recreational activities.

Yeah it's more other RPGs and board games I'd be concerned about. I know when people I know are doing well, they splash a lot of cash on that kind of thing (not really me, I'm Mr PDF McCheapo, but my friends aren't), kickstart tons of things, buy fairly expensive board games (not the £200 quid type, but £80 or even a bit more? Maybe), and all that. If they had to cut down, then we'd see a focus only on necessity, which would really hit the little guys.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Your political views aside, that's a non-response to what he said. He said it in context with his next sentence, which was, "American market still the most important for D&D. " He's absolutely right.

Zardnaar

Legend
Most? No. Most will not. The overwhelming majority of countries will not. A few will. Even if every European nation did (and not all will - doubt most will), that would still only be 44 out of 200 nations.

This.

Not really needed in a few of those countries anyway. UBI is less than existing welfare systems.

Zardnaar

Legend
Your political views aside, that's a non-response to what he said. He said it in context with his next sentence, which was, "American market still the most important for D&D. " He's absolutely right.

How well D&D will do or even survives is how much cash reserve they have and how much they can borrow (and when).

Online play has surged but it's only a small % overall. And play doesn't mean sales.

Mistwell you had stock and got the share holder report? Can they afford to ride it out for long?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
How well D&D will do or even survives is how much cash reserve they have and how much they can borrow (and when).

Online play has surged but it's only a small % overall. And play doesn't mean sales.

Mistwell you had stock and got the share holder report? Can they afford to ride it out for long?

It's Hasbro. If they don't survive, then no toymaker in the world has.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

I have neither stock nor the shareholder report.

I can get the shareholder report though. The last report I saw was year-end for 2019, which said, "Hasbro ended 2019 with year-end cash and cash equivalents of $4.58 billion, including $3.4 billion of eOne acquisition financing, cash received from foreign exchange hedges and other activities; Generated $653.1 million in operating cash flow; Returned $398.0 million to shareholders in 2019 including $336.6 million in dividends. "

Zardnaar

Legend
I have neither stock nor the shareholder report.

I can get the shareholder report though. The last report I saw was year-end for 2019, which said, "Hasbro ended 2019 with year-end cash and cash equivalents of $4.58 billion, including $3.4 billion of eOne acquisition financing, cash received from foreign exchange hedges and other activities; Generated $653.1 million in operating cash flow; Returned $398.0 million to shareholders in 2019 including $336.6 million in dividends. "

Is that enough assuming they need to set it on fire and burn it for a year or 3?

Remove ads