[D20 CoC] Mountains of Madness - Chap 4: Departure; Recruiting Alternate Players

Job

First Post
James Starkweather pushed through to arrive on deck next to Martin, Vittorio, and George, grasping the railing and scanning the main deck. His collar and tie are gone, his shirt unbuttoned and hair awry. "What's happened?" he snaps, then freezes as he peers over the rail. "Great Scott!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one)

Job

First Post
Martin, Vittorio, and George trace Starkweather's gaze and, in the hellish red and yellow glow of the fire, they see a steel-rope cargo sling dangling level with the ship's side, about six feet away from the bulwarks. Five drums of gasoline are suspended there, held over the river of fire like some disastrous popcorn popper. On deck, another fifteen drums stand about the open number two hatch, and many more are already stored below.

It is obvious that if the drums in the sling explode from the heat, the flames they produce may set off the drums already aboard the Gabrielle.

First Officer Turlow snaps an oath and leaps for the bridge, as his remaining ondeck crew begin to cast off the lines holding the Gabrielle to the pier. Starkweather turns to Martin, Vittorio, and George and yells above the din, "Come on, lads!", as he sprints down the ramp to the deck. "Follow me! To the winch!"

Starkweather yells and grabs at the few last fleeing stevedores. "Cowards!" he cries, "Help us fight this thing!" A huge burly fellow snarls and smashes a fist to Starkweather's jaw, and the commander drops to the deck.

Link to U.S.S. Gabrielle Floorplans - Full Ship

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Attachments

• Deck and Pier Plans - Rnd 1.jpg
    Deck and Pier Plans - Rnd 1.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Job

First Post
Strahd_Von_Zarovich said:
Starkweather? Prof. Moore ?!
Father Rucker shouts, trying to spot anyone.
Craning his neck to see over the throng of stevedores who were rushing by him down the gangway to the pier, Father Rucker saw James Starkweather run past, yelling and pushing through the crowd, and then saw the commander attacked.

[sblock]Check the map in the post just above this one to see everyone's relative positions on the ship. Oyvind is currrently with the dogs on the tweendeck level, below the main deck.[/sblock]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Job

First Post
Jesus!
Father Rucker hurries to the fallen captain.
Help me for god sake.
He scream for the man around him.
Starkweather is conscious. He rubs the side of his face, saying "I'm all right, I'm all right", then glances up at the priest and a confused look passes across his face. He reaches up and asks "Give me a hand, would you Father?" As the priest helps the commander to his feet, he notices that Starkweather's nose is bleeding profusely and that the commander seems to be a little unsteady on his feet.

A wave of acrid oily smoke curls over the deck, obscuring vision and causing everyone nearby to begin coughing. Somewhere a steam whistle begins to blow.

Starkweather grabs Father Rucker's arm to get his attention and gestures towards the controls for the cargo boom that holds the barrels of gasoline suspended above the fire. The commander leans in towards Father Rucker and shouts to be heard above the noise, "Move those barrels, man! Move them or we're done for! I'll make my way to the fire hose."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

Father Rucker

Father Rucker hurries to the control panel, looking over the buttons, switches and levers he tries to determine what every lever and button do. (If there are sign, "right" "left" it will be good enough.)
He then tries to move the gasoline barrels away, stopping frequently to wash is sweat and caught.

Job

First Post
Father Rucker hurries to the control panel, looking over the buttons, switches and levers he tries to determine what every lever and button do. (If there are sign, "right" "left" it will be good enough.)
He then tries to move the gasoline barrels away, stopping frequently to wash is sweat and caught.
Father Rucker runs for the winch controls, dodging a couple of stevedores who are racing directly towards him to get off the ship.[sblock][OOC - It takes Father Rucker two rounds to get to the winch controls. Other players will have the opportunity to take two standard actions during Father Rucker's movement to the controls, but feel free to describe Father Rucker's actions. I'll respond to everyone's actions and describe them as best as possible to keep the storyline sequenced correctly. I'll set up a round-by-round list of players' actions in the OOC thread.][/sblock]
The winch controls seem simple to Father Rucker, but they are utterly unfamiliar to him. There are three levers, two floor pedals, and a metal panel with 4 buttons: black, red, green, and grey.
[sblock][OOC - Please make two "Operate Heavy Machinery" rolls for Father Rucker and describe his actions for our story.][/sblock]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one.)

Last edited:

[sblock=ooc]Operate heavy machinery can't be used untrained and Father Rucker don't have any ranks in this skill. [/sblock]

Father Rucker looks puzzled at the levers and pedals
Green is probably the "Go" button, and Red is the "stop". I wonder what are the black and grey.
Father Rucker thinks to himself
One of the pedals is probably the gas and the other is the break, the levers are to maneuver the tankards. I hope I'll not drop them.
Father Rucker press the green button, the right pedal and begins to pull the levers.

Remove ads