• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Dark*Matter: ongoing review

arscott

First Post
It's a 3rd party system, and one that's closely based on the Magic system of the old Alternity version of Dark•Matter.

kingpaul

First Post
ssampier said:
I am new to Modern. I need d20 Modern book and Menace Manual to use this book, correct? I am thinking of running an X-Files game (I have thought about this for months but stalled for one reason or another).
Well, you could use the MSRD instead of having to buy the books. The MSRD is a subset of d20 Modern, d20 Future, Menace Manual and Urban Arcana.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
buzz said:
I'm suspecting Roudi meant the d20M Urban Arcana book. It lacked an idnex.
Indeed it does, and that is actually near the top of my list of complaints about that book.
I have the same complaint about the Serenity RPG book, which makes me sad because I only had a couple nit-picks until I found no index to supplement to skimpy table of contents.

We want indexes! Or at a minimum, I do.

buzz

Adventurer
ValhallaGH said:
I have the same complaint about the Serenity RPG book, which makes me sad because I only had a couple nit-picks until I found no index to supplement to skimpy table of contents.
FYI, the recently-released 4th printing of Serenity includes an index, some corrected errata, and a character sheet. Like a sucker, I bought it. :)

DanMcS

Explorer
JPL said:
Is standard "fire and forget" magic available, along with the corresponding advanced classes?

They're in the d20 modern core book. Are you asking if they're reprinted in Dark Matter? Because that would be really odd, if they were.

buzz

Adventurer
Buzz the interpreter, at your service. :)

DanMcS said:
They're in the d20 modern core book. Are you asking if they're reprinted in Dark Matter? Because that would be really odd, if they were.
I'm guessing he's asking whether these bits of d20M are officially part of the setting or not. In the Poly version, they used a "spend an Action Point to cast a spell" system, iirc.

Roudi

First Post
buzz said:
I'm suspecting Roudi meant the d20M Urban Arcana book. It lacked an idnex.
No, my d20 Modern core book has no index. If an index appeared in other books, then perhaps mine is a printing error.

I don't own Urban Arcana.

I'll get to the magic question once I find my book again. There are Vancian spells and psionic powers as per the standard d20 Modern FX rules. I have to double-check the classes, though, as I don't recall any of them having spellcasting abilities (I think the book still relied on the Mage, Acolyte, Telepath, and Battlemind for FX access).

And for Sketchpad:

SFX Skills: Diabolism
SFX Skills: Enochian Theurgy
They're two entries in a very tight skill 'n' feat magic system.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads