• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Dark*Matter: ongoing review

arscott

First Post
I'd love to see your kinori stats.

I've got to stat out a submerged egyptian pyramid in scandenavia full of nazi occultists searching for the holy grail, and mysterious lizardy guardians before my players get back from summer vacation.

Deekin

Adventurer
Chapter by Chapter Comparision of d20 Dark Matter to Alternity Dark*Matter

Introduction: D20 Dark Matter wins at this. It drops the how to play rules and has 10 things you will need to know about dark matter.

The Hoffmann Institute: D20 Dropped the Intduction letter, and drops a lot of the details about the varius departments. Also Intelligance gained Department 7- Paranormal Investigations.

But D20 adds a Few pages in the Agent's Guide to the Hoffmann Institute- a players summory..

Heroic option/Heros of dark matter and Arcana.- very hard to compare- but both add about the same level of material to your game.

The True history/History of the world. - Same chapter but d20 Revises timeline past 1998.

The Illuminati- Same chapter again- With Requistion limits

Places of Intrest- Same Chapter.

Xenoforms chapter was Droped

Running a dark matter game: D20 Droped Contacts and added in plothooks for all the monsters in Menace Manual and some in UA.

Campaign options have been droped

Exit 23- A good conversion but again, just reprint- nothing new

Raw Recruits- Droped.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I think the additional material makes the book a little more useful this time around to PLAYERS of Dark*Matter ... which can be a good thing ... player books sell better than GM books, all across the board. If players see it as something they can pick up for extra races, feats, options and gadgets to blow stuff up, they'll buy it themselves.

My price concerns are usually moot. I'm cheap. I come by it genetically I think. My grandfather was notorious for being a cheap old fart.

The cover is pretty unique, especially among the d20Modern books, and adds something for the collector. It's nice to handle and comes with that obscure slightly-alien smell of GitD paint. Works quite nicely for D*M.

The expanded player-introduction means it'll work well for my intended purpose ... leaving it where we game as a honey-pot to attract interest. It will lay there, glowing slightly, begging to be handled ... touched ... its tantalizing secrets mere pages away!

Then everybody will get psyched and I'll once more have a regular D*M game! Mwa ha ha ha ha! Mwa hahahaha! Er ... carry on.

--fje

cybernetic

Explorer
Anyone have any suggestions for a good site or place to go to find some good DarkMatter-flavored artwork? I'm in the process of putting together a campaign site for a d20 Dark Matter game I plan running online using Fantasy Grounds.

I just got it.

I have the Alternity version and now the D20 version, but not the Polyhedron minigame. I kind of like the new classes. I think I'll make one for each of the missing spellcasting traditions. Voodoo is by far the easiest, IMO.

There are some weird errors there. Some of the psionic powers deal nonlethal damage, and it's obvious they were designed with DnD rather than D20 Modern nonlethal damage in mind.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I picked it up at amazon for $19.47 and free shipping (by picking up another book, The Italian Secretary, a Sherlock Holmes novel by Caleb Carr), and no tax. I've loved Dark*Matter since it first came out, but I wasn't going to pay full retail and New York State sales tax for 99% reprinted material. :)

I think it's a great book and all, especially for folks new to the setting, and a nice compilation of past titles and d20 Modern conversions for the old timers, but I think WotC could have added (should have added, actually) a few more things, like a prestige class and spells for Vodoo.

All in all, it's a very nice product, and if WotC has put d20 Modern on an extended hiatus as it appears they have, then they have gone out on a high note.

There are quite a few voodoo spells. Virtually all of them have been brought over. They're all Acolyte spells, and I don't know if the Acolyte class is really appropriate.

Unfortunately none of the Enochian spells that I'm aware of were brought over. I'm a big fan of White Salamander, myself.

Edit: And here's a kinori mummy, for the heck of it. http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/CR_4_Mummy,_Kinori
Should I use the new format?

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Oh wow, you're right! That's awesome!!!! :D

Thanks for pointing that out, (Psi) - I hadn't gotten that far yet.

The original Voodoo FX spells in Alternity were in the Faith magic section, so I can see why they would make them acolyte spells as it is the class with the closest fit in d20 Modern.

Back to reading...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads