• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Future] 22nd Century: Solar Odyssey to Hell. [The game]

Turanil said:
This scientist is Guran Mopta, an Indian* biogenetician. He is not known for being a top researcher in his field. He is just known for having done researches about electrical-biocurrents in the body, the relation between life and electricity, and how to genetically alter a living creature to become impervious to (the damaging effects of) electricity, or even use it to improve its strength. It is not known whether his researches have been fruitful.

OOC: Okay, I'm going to have to speak scientific gibberish for a second. Not entirely sure how much of this was in Moran's research.

Vertebrate nerves are covered with myelin (which insulates them from electricity) but there are gaps in part of the myelin (which electricity jumps from over the myelin from gap to gap). This enables the nerve impulse to travel faster than if there had been no myelin or if the nerves had been completely covered in myelin. And no, I can't answer why "gaps" make the electricity travel faster, even though I've had to study that three times. Eek. If the genetic treatments used a "fake myelin" or some other kind of insulator to protect the nervous system, it would have to be controllable, to allow fast nerve impulses to function.

Lambert is wondering if this ability could be used as a weapon... but like anything involving biology, it's also very exciting to him. He talks animatedly and very quickly.

This is very interesting work. I haven't been to any planets with lightning (except Earth) but I suspect Titan would have very common lightning storms. This would be very useful for any colonists or visitors there. It's very delicate, very complicated, certainly more so than uplifting an animal.

Okay, that's obvious flattery, but hey, it might work.

Obviously electricity causes damage by burning, not to mention the havoc it can wreak on the nervous and muscular systems... How do you keep the organism's brain functioning? If you were to "seal off" their nerves from electrical impulses, that should really slow down their nerves, but clearly that isn't happening. Alas, I didn't quite understand that part of your latest report, it is quite beyond me.

My reasoning: suppose you could somehow electrify a ship to knock out the crew. Mutants that can resist electricity could easily hijack such a ship, and could be hired out to the highest bidder for covert operations - they could even get stronger, if the reports are accurate. It could also be used as some kind of combat stunner if you found out how to insulate unaltered people from it's effects.

Last edited:

Vincent Collins

First Post
"Mr. Purr, that sounds like an excellent idea. For my part, I would like to examine Shemezgan & Balmers a bit. I will go under the pretense of wishing to seccure some slightly legal supplies for our "plasma research". Mr. Hart, would you care to accompany me to provide expertise if their questions become difficult?"

Vincent then contacts HAR-Vee via his unicom, "HAR-Vee, do me the favor of uploading some photo images and as much data as you can scrounge up on Mr. Shemezgan and Mr. Balmers. Also, start working on some easily concealable surveillance devices. Make sure they are sensor-protected and very small. And that they don't explode..."

Vincent scans the room for either of the aforementioned individuals...

Turanil

First Post
Jay Purr:
At some point you see the cultists leave the restaurant (after finishing their meal normally), and most probably go back to the temple. One of the three priests, who also looks like the leader (seeing his clothes and the attention he gets from the others), has an air of insufferable self-importance.

Christopher Lambert:
Guran Mopta is flattered to find someone (especially in this place) to be acquainted with his work. However, discussing about his researches on bioelectricity, you get the impression that either he never found anything interesting, or that he doesn't want to speak about it. [OOC: a Sense Motive check at DC=15 would give you more info on this.]

Vincent Collins:
You indeed spot (from the photos given to you by HAR-Vee) Mr. Shemezgan AND Mr. Balmers. From SIA data recovered by HAR-Vee (and displayed on your glasses) you learn that Balmers is currently ill and probably treated in some discreet clinic in Lagrange 5 (a specific location between Earth and Luna, where gravity of both cancel each other; it harbors several stations and colonies).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[OOC *: I know that some of you have scientific knowledge, where I don't. That's the problem when running a hard sci-fi game instead of magic... I will try to not say too much idiocies, nonetheless don't forget this is a game... :heh: ]

Last edited:

Caine Freerover

First Post
Turanil said:
Christopher Lambert:
Guran Mopta is flattered to find someone (especially in this place) to be acquainted with his work. However, discussing about his researches on bioelectricity, you get the impression that either he never found anything interesting, or that he doesn't want to speak about it. [OOC: a Sense Motive check at DC=15 would give you more info on this.]

My own field is cybernetics, and I was impressed by your ideas on incorporating electrical activity into a nervous system. I even went to the point of incorporating some of your ideas into a prototype, which unfortunately I no longer have in my possession. It's too bad you're not working in this field any more!

We'd love to have you as a guest aboard our ship for the opportunity to chat with you at length about your ideas, even if it's old news to you. What do you say? We can send a shuttle to pick you up after work.

Jay Purr

First Post
Collins said:
Mr. Purr, that sounds like an excellent idea...

Jay Purr waits ten minutes for the priests to have an opportunity to return to the temple of the Church of the Scientific Revelation. His goal is not only to examine the interior of the temple as much as possible, but also to gain the attention of the priests as a possible convert. To prepare himself mentally for the role, he concentrates on his childhood memories of the decompression accident that killed all but himself in his nursery school in the asteroid belt. The sheen of perspiration on his brow and the rapid respiration come rather easily...

Jay does not so much walk into the temple of the CotSR as tumble through the opening. His first act is to anchor himself to the largest piece of furniture or other fixture as far from any external bulkhead that he can find. He grips it as if he expects any moment for a blast of escaping gases to expel him through a rent in the hull. His eyes dart about nervously. If there are any witnesses to his entry (hopefully) he puts his best effort into a strained whisper, "The hull seems sturdy and sound here. Has it been inspected recently?"

OOC: Turanil, if you would like to conduct this as a conversation, then great. However, that might take us a while, so I'll summarize Jay's goals and tactics. This is essentially one long Bluff check, I suppose.

Jay becomes visibly calmer once someone begins talking to him, but it is obvious he is still nervous and agitated. He requests to speak to a priest (or more than one), but he needs reassurance. He makes clear that he is concerned for the structural integrity of the hull, and says that he can hear the creaks and moans of stressed metals and ceramics. Dropping hints that something strange happened to him when he was young, he requests to be allowed to inspect the sanctuary to make sure that it is safe for him to remain in the area long enough to talk to the priests.

If given a "tour," Jay will surreptitiously make his Knowledge (physical sciences, technology) checks to observe the equipment in use by the CotSR. He will do his best to see as many areas of the temple as possible without raising undue suspicion. During the process, he will dole out his story slowly enough to keep his guide(s) interested. Factually, he will indicate that he is the pilot of an interplanetary ship, and that he grew up in the asteroid belt. He will weave into his narrative the story of the accident during his childhood that left him the sole survivor of his daycare center. Suitably embelished, of course. The crunching, bone-jarring impact that breached the hull. The whistling moan and swirling chaos of escaping breath gas. The screams of the other children that seemed to recede into the distance as the pressure dropped. The horror of watching his favorite teacher "fly" up to the hole in the wall and then squeeze himself, head first, through a space too small for even the toddler Jay to actually fit through comfortably.

Jay will say that he does not completely trust his memories. But he remembers, yes, he remembers. The feeling that evil beings waited just beyond the once solid walls of his school, dragging his classmates into the vacuum. The fiends dancing in the spray of wet, red matter streaming from the rent in the hull, cavorting and spinning while they decorated their hideous bodies with the mist that spewed from the school like so much red spray paint from a can. As the fiends pulled Jay to join their dance, he heard a swelling, pounding thunder that was synchronised with the pulsing darkness that was closing in from the edges of the universe. But in that thunder Jay sensed a champion coming to fight the demons. As the darkness fell completely, a powerful being of light held Jay away from the doorway to hell that was the breach in the hull, slapping its other hand over that aching emptiness, and blocking out the screaming vacuum of space. Jay knew that the demons fled in fear before this angel. Jay does not, even as an adult, understand completely what happened, but he is certain that he was saved for some special purpose, and he asks the priests to explain.

Jay has read the accident reports and court records later as an adult, of course. What actually happened was that a maintenance shuttle working in space near the asteroid that housed the school suffered an unfortunate thruster failure. Unfortunate particularly that this was one of those rare failures where a thruster failed in the "on" state and caused the shuttle to collide with the school's asteroid. The two suited workers that were outside the shuttle at the time maneuvered to the asteroid and attempted to seal the breach, but they were working against the pressure differential and were unsuccessful. Jay saw them and, being a child, interpreted them as "demons" pulling his classmates into the vacuum. Two unlikely events, plus a rapid response by emergency personnel, saved Jay's life. The first is that he became entangled in the "web gym," a mesh of internally lit cables that served the school as a jungle gym for the childrens exercise and play. The second was the timely arrival at the breach of first a "beanbag chair" filled with silica gel, and then a sturdy table that overlaid it and was held in place by the pressure of the remaining gas inside the chambers of the school. These things were his being of light that restrained him and sealed the hole.

HAR-Vee

First Post
Affirmative.

Informative: Stable objects will take 5-6 days per device. They will be camera/transmitters about the size of a pill bottle. Creation of unstable mock up's could be achieved at the rate of 1 per day. Unstable devices are unlikely to cause in real damage, just fail.

Action: I will begin on stable devices immediately.

HAR-Vee finishes work on the head and goes to its work shop.

OOC: If every Craft check is a 10, it will take 12 checks to make a Diminutive camera/professional walkie talkie combo. HAR-Vee can make two checks a day--so about 6 days. These devices will still fail (repairably) on natural rolls of 1. They will have a prototype modifier of 12 (so 12 bugs) and will require a Repair check DC 32 to fix in 1 round, DC 27 to fix in the field in 5 minutes or DC 22 to fix in the shop in 4-24 hours.

If a bug is found (by rolling a 1), then some aspect of the device is dropped by 1d6 (like -1d6 to Spot checks or -1d6 to Computer Use to control them, etc). Feel free to stack up modifiers.

If all is good, I'll send you a batch of 12 rolls.

Christopher Lambert:

Lambert seems to have no idea what's going on.

OOC: I rolled an amazing... 8 (natural 3). I sent you the email from the dice roller.

Vincent Collins

First Post
Vincent approaches the two seated individuals.

"Mr. Shemezgan, Mr. Balmers, my name is Vincent Collins and I represent the public relations end of Sarteck inc., a potential renter of this facility. Do you mind if I join you? Good. I was curious if you could tell me a little bit about what your business does, more specifically, what your business could do for my people and I." Vincent gives a sly "knowing-businessman" smirk followed by a slight nod, and looks at the two men.

"We're a scientific firm in need of some acquisitions..."

Kecia Tavernier

First Post
Kecia stayed near the bulk of her companions, keeping her mouth shut and scanning the surrounding area for anybody who was paying undue attention to them or in any way looked suspicious. It was her job to act paranoid on this assignment, and she never did anything in half-measures.

Spot check: 25

Caine Freerover

First Post
Turanil said:
Christopher Lambert:

Caine's check yields a 17.

[Edited: my Wis bonus is one righer than I remembered when using the dice server.]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads