• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern Campaign Ideas?

James Heard

Explorer
My first d20 campaign will probably be a move back to one of my favorite setting ideas ever -the grandfather of SG-1, Fringeworthy. Man, that was a great setting idea with an awful mechanics behind it. I used to run games using the setting with Interlock mechanics, but Solos running into every warp guns blazing to take out potential threats from the locals just never seemed to be the right idea...

After that I'll probably go with the modern horror/investigator route that I wanted to do since I picked up CoC but none of my players will let me run CoC for them again ever (even the new ones thanks to vicious, unfounded rumors).

faustuswoo

First Post
Jack Ryan Saga

Tom Clancy's global hero Jack Ryan is a promise canidate of the main NPC in D20 modern. He and John Clark join to fight the terroriests in the world. Rainbow Six should be included in the campaign. Hi-tech thriller is a fasinated attempt to any GM.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Some not-quite-modern d20 Modern settings

How about Indiana Jones d20?

d20 in the world of THE TWO GEORGES by Turtledove & that actor whose name escapes me - basicallly, the Revolutionary War concluded with America returning to the British Empire, and the novel takes place in the 1930s of that world?

ANNO DRACULA d20? (Kim Newmann)

PLEIOCENE EXILE d20? (Julian May's amazing SF/fantasy series)

Nowthat I think about it, I might jsut have to pick up this book after all. There are lots of setting possibilities if one has time to flesh them out a bit...

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
How about UNREAL TOURNAMENT d20? Talk about a beer-and-pretzels, have-fun-for-an-evening type thing - trick out a character and go for the gusto! If that ARSENAL book is any good, that might add to the interesting possibilities.

JTyranny

First Post
Buckaroo Banzai and Alias would be great choices- as for post Apocalypse-- The End (d20) is compatible with d20 Modern. We made it modular for that very reason!.

MythicJustice

Explorer
If you're looking for a dark modern fantasy setting, check out Dark Inheritance at http://www.mythicdreams.com.

Dark Inheritance

This Spring, enter a world of mythic horror where the genetic inheritors of the gods and monsters of legend battle against ancient terrors and explore a mystical world newly revealed behind long forgotten gates.

Fear descends upon a world where destiny has failed and creatures from earth's primordial past once again stalk the earth. As a Titan, your birthright is power and now a future is waiting to be forged by those who have the strength of will to shape it.

Can you survive otherworldly monsters, the mad schemes of the Daemonhost, and the mysteries hidden within your own genetic code?

novyet

First Post
Re: Plug Time!

mythusmage said:
(Not what you'd call a vacation spot, is it?:D)

Pretty sweet sounding. Got some more information? I had an idea kind of similar to that, how about doing a d20 version of The Stand?

Here's some ideas I've had (or stolen):

• Alternate Modern: Hitler won WWII, although he was probably quickly supplanted within Nazi Germany due to the fact that he was a walking chemical set by the end of the war. The Cold War all over again, except that the enemy is a huge power block of Nazism in central and Western Europe that is fascinated with the occult! Are the Soviets still allies, or have they become so reactionary that we can't trust them anymore? What are the Nazis and the Communists and the "free world" doing in response to decades of cold war? Attempts to strike power balances in the New World and Asia/Pacific?
  • Alternate Modern 2: Ever read Harry Turtledove's books about an alien race that arrived in the middle of WWII to conquer the earth, but was amazed to discover how much humanity had progressed in the last 1000 years? Sounds like fun.
  • Low fantasy: Just because it says modern doesn't mean that the rules won't make for a great low fantasy game now and then.
  • Predator: Probably more of a mini-campaign, with more fatalities than most, but predator (or aliens or something like that) would be a great game.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Dragon Earth Plug

novyet said:
Pretty sweet sounding. Got some more information? I had an idea kind of similar to that, how about doing a d20 version of The Stand?

1965: Bohdisvatta and Former President of the Republic of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh is assassinated by a person or persons unknown. This marks the start of The Lich King's War. After 15 years of fighting, and the loss of 1/3 of the world's population, the Lich King's forces are defeated and the Lich King destroyed. Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, most of Thailand, and the southern third of the Empire of China are totally depopulated. Overall, China drops from a population of around 300 million to less than 95 million. Necromancy becomes very unpopular.

Present Day: Vietnam is still no-man's-land. Imperial China is beginning to reclaim her lost territories. Expeditions, both authorized and unauthorized, are exploring the "Lost Lands" for treasure, information, and strange beasts. A genetic disorder rendering the subject susceptible to basilisk paralyzation has been identified.

There's more to the story. Urban legends about the return of the Lich King, and stories about drow plans to conquer the world (which the drow disavow, saying that they're only out to buy it). Then there are stories coming from the deep space observatory on Pluto. (The former Collegium Arcane de Pluto, established in 1794.)(I love foreshadowing.;))

A work in progress, scheduled for its public debut in 2003, after Wizard's Urban Arcana

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads