• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Review Section Reputation

Don't worry. In the big scheme of things it doesnt look like it would mean anything anyways. ;)

Actually though your reviews would be ones that I actually would take notice of and read.

ColonelHardisson said:
...I don't think I'll ever be able to post a review ever again... ;)

Fine delete the 1's as well if they do not actually review the product.

My review though at least mentions specific items in the module and gives you an idea of what you will be getting if you purchase the module.

I also specifically said that the assumtions made only matter if you have a campaign that includes the first. My main comment being that the assumtions in the sequel completley change major items from the first. This is not really a sequel module as it is more of a spin-off module.

Tsyr said:

The same holds true for all three of those appalings... call for THEIR deletion too, and I might be inclined to listen a bit more. Heck, YOUR review doesn't even tell that much... _AND_ you talk about how it doesn't jive with the origianl ToEE too, something you blast the author of this review for.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
ColonelHardisson said:
...I don't think I'll ever be able to post a review ever again... ;)

Sorry, Colonel, I am not in a position to help you. That would be Liquide in all likelihood. Which probably means talk to Russ unless you can catch Liquide in the chat room.

Liquide

DEX: 4
Psion said:

Sorry, Colonel, I am not in a position to help you. That would be Liquide in all likelihood. Which probably means talk to Russ unless you can catch Liquide in the chat room.

I also have spies all over the place that tell me when people try and reach me on the boards :)

Liquide

DEX: 4
ColonelHardisson said:
This is tangential to the discussion, but since Psion is here - I haven't been able to login to the reviews page in forever. I've tried every password I can think of that I would have used, but no luck. I'd like some help - I've posted about it in Meta, and e-mailed Morrus, but no luck (I know Morrus is busy, so this isn't a criticism).

Just mailed the details to your e-mail addie mate.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I think there is definitely a problem with the reviews for RttToEE.

A module shouldn't get a 1 simply for violating Greyhawk canon. Mark it down, sure. If the module is too long, and the monsters too implausible, some warnings should be given to prospective DM's, who may find ways to truncate and simplify the adventure. (In-fighting between different factions may help out a lot, and give it a much more dynamic feel). That would be positive and helpful criticism. But say that it is appallingly bad? RttToEE has an awful lot of interesting and challenging encounters with good mechanics and interesting NPCs, nice maps, good editing, etc., etcl It shouldn't get a 1.

Similarly, the gushing but uninformative reviews are not needed. They ignore some real flaws in the module that should prevent it from getting a score of 5. Many seem to be there in order to balance out the 1's. And that's a bad thing.

That said, I think a prospective purchaser of RttToEE would want to investigate the huge discrepancies in the scores, and would eventually be able to make a decision based on the information they present.

I can't think of a method of resolving the problem that would significantly help matters. I think a number of the reviews should be deleted, but that would lead to a lot of bad feeling and complaints. Deleting all but the official reviews would be too draconian- some valuable insights would be lost.

It would be nice if there was a way to close a review the way one closes a thread. Maybe allow the other staff reviewers to contribute if they wish. It would be a shame to allow this issue to fester.

Krug

Newshound
These days it's more a case of grade inflation. There are so many 5 point reviews I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt. There are some reviewers that I trust whose opinion matters to me, such as the staff reviewers. Are products getting better, or are people only reviewing the stuff that they really like? I think it's a mix of both.

DocMoriartty said:
The third reviewer started this thread at MonteCook.com with the specific intentions of having people come over here and raise the products review rating above its "mere 3.6".

If that does not smack of artifically elevating the products rating then I do not know what does.
Actually, that smacks of "here's a product that I would give a 5 to. It only has a 3.6 average. Obviously people who don't think like me have been reviewing it, so there's a gap in the reviews. I think I'll write one." :rolleyes:

And, is this a "festering" problem? So Doc Moriartty doesn't like it. No offense, Doc, but whoop-de-doo. Thousands of people make use of the reviews, and just because you've got your panties in a bunch shouldn't matter jack-squat. Frankly, from your posts it sounds very much like you're the one pushing an agenda here, even moreso than some Monte Cook board fanboys.

EDIT: Note, Psion, this is a tangent, but I've been looking for a continuation, if needed, of your comments on my ELH review. I want to make sure I'm kosher (not that I'm Jewish) but I still don't understand exactly what concerns you have with what I wrote.

Last edited:

MEG Hal

First Post
jester47 said:
Actually Doc, I see it this way.

If or that it is really really horrible and bad and should be stricken from the record (which is the way I feel about Bluffside's layout and printing standards: ILLEGIBLE!)Aaron.

Ya know I simply came in here to read a thread and man o man I get jabbed right in the eye with a poisoned thorn :D . Just so Jester47 is happy we have improved the layout and standards of the future items so Jester47 will be able to hopefully stand looking at them. We had so much info and so little room on that book that we did cram it in, it will not happen like that again.

Ok back to RttToEE

Psion

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
EDIT: Note, Psion, this is a tangent, but I've been looking for a continuation, if needed, of your comments on my ELH review. I want to make sure I'm kosher (not that I'm Jewish) but I still don't understand exactly what concerns you have with what I wrote.

I think it's mostly your innagural statements give the wrong impression. Like I said, it sounds like you bought it knowing you wouldn't like it and then were dissapointed when you weren't proven wrong. If you were to edit your first few paragraphs, I really wouldn't have an issue. Most of the rest seems valid. In fact, I agree with much of it -- I think the epic level handbook needed much more in the way of implementation and inspiration.

Remove ads