D&D (2024) d20 'Test'

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
'Test' is a term historically used by other TTRPGs, but D&D has always gone with 'check'. Now we have official rules which say "When you make a d20 Test".

I'm curious about the adoption of terminology used by other TTRPGs. Any thoughts on why 'test' is suddenly now a D&D term, and has replaced' check'?

My initial thought is that that terminology is not in the OGL. Is that a possible reason?

I don't think d20 Test is replacing Ability Check as such. I believe that what's happening is when the game rules are referring to all three of Ability Check, Attack Roll, and Saving Throw at the same time, they will refer to d20 Test to save space.

Also, I believe at this point, the term is only in the One D&D playtest packets to date. Could be mistaken?

Yaarel

He Mage
In natural English, to "make a test", is to "try" to do something.

So, to "try" sneak, implies a test, here a Dexterity check (to which the Stealth skill proficiency can apply).

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
To me, a d20 Test sounds less like playing a game and more like conducting a lab experiment. As an old foggie, I'll probably still call it a d20 check purely out of habit.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
'Test' is a term historically used by other TTRPGs, but D&D has always gone with 'check'. Now we have official rules which say "When you make a d20 Test".

I'm curious about the adoption of terminology used by other TTRPGs. Any thoughts on why 'test' is suddenly now a D&D term, and has replaced' check'?

My initial thought is that that terminology is not in the OGL. Is that a possible reason?
I agree with FitzTheRuke but will add that it also avoids confusing circular references once shorthand gets involved since a d20 test will usually invoke some form of skill/ability check as he noted.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I agree. As far as I'm aware, D&D has never used the term "test", so sounds out of place every time I read it. "d20 check" sounds like D&D.

Remove ads