D&D (2024) d20 'Test'

I agree. As far as I'm aware, D&D has never used the term "test", so sounds out of place every time I read it. "d20 check" sounds like D&D.

O also think they want less confusion.
I think, ability check and d20 check is too confusing.
Same as armor training. Sounds unfamiliar, but it is a valid change.

Maybe they come up with a better name...
... lets brainstorm...

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
It would be a potential source of confusion, but not a major one. In third edition, it was common to refer to all d20 rolls as "checks", even though they could be skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, caster level checks, etc. With fifth edition being so unified in how proficiency works, I always thought it was strange that attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks are considered different things. At our games, we still collectively refer to them as checks.

The use of "d20 Test" isn't awful, but it is odd and breaks established, if informal convention. Personally, I'd rather accept the small risk of confusion in the name of established convention. You may disagree.

It would be a potential source of confusion, but not a major one. In third edition, it was common to refer to all d20 rolls as "checks", even though they could be skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, caster level checks, etc. With fifth edition being so unified in how proficiency works, I always thought it was strange that attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks are considered different things. At our games, we still collectively refer to them as checks.

The use of "d20 Test" isn't awful, but it is odd and breaks established, if informal convention. Personally, I'd rather accept the small risk of confusion in the name of established convention. You may disagree.

Maybe rename ability check to ability test and keep d20 check...

Reynard

Legend
I agree with the "It's shorthand" assessment. Because therre are a few different kinds of "roll a d20 and add some modifier" types of mechanisms in play, it makes sense to try and wrangle them into a single term for broadly applicable rules.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
no real insight here, but it feels like the Dev team played other ttrpgs and just took the term
Seconded. In fact, it's highly unlikely that they've been inspired by the "contests" of Modos RPG, and wanted to inject some obscure-RPG-cred into the marketing plan. 🤓

Doesn't Fantasy AGE actually use Tests? Maybe it's a devious ploy to steal Green Ronin fans? Or maybe I just shouldn't be a sleuth...
...Same as armor training. Sounds unfamiliar, but it is a valid change.
Wait, is that new? I think that's from Pathfinder...to name just one possible source of Inspiration.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
O also think they want less confusion.
Same as armor training. Sounds unfamiliar, but it is a valid change.

Maybe they come up with a better name...
... lets brainstorm...
I like armor training. Eliminates questions of why you don’t get to add your proficiency bonus to AC.

Remove ads