• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20M - Extended Magic (house rules)

cbatt

First Post
I'm looking for a bit of constructive feedback for some house rules that I'm working on.

I've been really stoked about d20M since it came out, but I have yet to play it (moved into a new house recently; kinda disruptive and disorganized). However, in the meantime, I've been trying to figure out some way of doing a swords and sorcery game using it rather than DnD (it's somewhat grittier, and a I like that).

One of the hurdles is that there are no rules in d20M for 1st level spell casters. So far, you need to have the Mage or Acolyte advanced class in order to cast spells, and those don't open up until around 4th level (iirc).

So here's the workaround that I've come up with:
d20 Modern - Extended Magic

-- Feats --

Wild Talent
You are a conduit for raw magical energy.
Prerequisite: Can only be taken at 1st level
Benefits: Allows you to provide power for magical spells

Arcanist
You can cast Arcane spells using raw magic.
Prerequisite: Int 13+, Wild Talent
Benefits: You can learn and cast spells from the Arcane spell list. Upon selecting this feat, choose either 3 0-Level spells or 1 1st-Level spell that you can cast by using raw magic.

Mystic
You can cast Divine spells using raw magic
Prerequisites: Wis 13+, Wild Talent
Benefits: You can learn, and cast spells from the Divine spell list. Upon selecting this feat, choose either 3 0-Level spells or 1 1st-Level spell that you can cast by using raw magic.

-- Rules --

Learning spells using raw magic
Even if a character has little or no training in the magical arts, they may still know how to cast a very limited selection of spells, so long as they posses either of the Arcanist or Mystic feats. They may also teach themselves new spells, but doing so is a long and arduous process.

It takes 24hrs + (24hrs x Spell Level) of uninterrupted study and rest for a character to attempt to learn a new spell. After which they must make a Research check against a DC of 10 + (2 x Spell Level) to commit the spell to memory. If they fail the Research check, they have not learned the spell and cannot cast it. Furthermore, they cannot attempt to learn a new spell until they reach their next level. However, they may spend an Action Point, as per normal, to boost their chance of success.

Casting spells using raw magic
Any character who has either of the Arcanist or Mystic feats can cast a spell (or manifest a power) that they have previously learned from the list specified by the feat description. However, it is physically taxing.

To cast a spell using raw magic you must first make a Concentration check against a DC of 10 + (2 x Spell Level). The spell is cast whether or not the concentration check is made. Failure indicates that you take 2x Drain because you could not properly harness the magical energy to cast the spell. When the spell is cast, it causes Spell Level d6 of Drain (1d3 for 0-Level spells, 1d6 for 1st, 2d6 2nd, 3d6 3rd, etc...) which is treated like normal damage and is subtracted from Hit Points.

Casting spells using a matrix
Characters with levels in the Mage and/or Acolyte advanced class have have learned how to prepare spell matrices which act as buffers between themselves and the raw magical energy. When casting a spell through a matrix, the caster suffers no Drain and does not need to make a concentration check. However once the matrix is used, it cannot be used again without recharging, or re-attuning it to the desired spell.

Arcanists and Mystics do not lose their ability to cast raw magic spells if they become Mages and/or Acolytes. But, they cannot cast just any spell from their spell books by using raw magic. To cast a spell by using raw magic, they must first learn how to do so as per the rules in the "Learning spells using raw magic" section. Furthermore, just because they can cast a raw magic spell, does not mean that they can cast the same spell by using a matrix. They are two different disciplines.
** I "borrowed" the Spell Matrix idea from Earthdawn as it seems to fit with the overall theme.

Let me know what you think.

Remove ads