D&D 5E Damage per Character Level

WBruce

Explorer
I am a big fan of The Lazy Dungeon Master books. During all my life I always "DMed" improvising and figuring out things on the go. Recently, since I adopted Fantasy Grounds I have being trying to plan things up ahead more, trying to understand rules in a more deep way.

The Lazy DM workbook brings a table on page 5 called "Improvised Statistics (for traps, obstacles, and other improvised Challenges)" where we get a per level numbers of AC/DC/HP/Attack/Damage for Medium/Hard/Deadly situations.

Here I am more worried with the damage part. Would you agree with the damage per level in this table? If not suppose I am creating a monster from scratch how would you go to determine the right damage that monster can inflict considering your party?

Here are some examples from the table in question considering AC,HP,Attack and Damage in this order:

Level 1: 11 - 40 - +3 - 5(1d10)
Level 2-4: 13 - 110 - +4 - 5(1d10)
Level 5-7: 15 -150 - +6 - 11(2d10)
Level 8-10: 16 - 200 - +7 - 16(3d10)

Do you think this is about it, or do you see something off?

R_J_K75

Legend
When making up a creature or trap etc on the fly, which is quite often, I usually use this loose premise. Its not a science by any means so I tend to err on the side of caution and wear the party down than downright kill them with one attack. When I roll attacks I dont use bonuses, I just roll straight d20s. I tend to use d6 or d8 for damage rolls, depending on the number of attacks I may say a bite is 1d6 then the claw attack is 1d8. I usually dont use an AC higher than 17, saves are DC 12-14, and may give the encounter a special feature or defense, etc. If you feel the encounter is too weak then add a few more creatures coming from around the corner if its logical to do so. If it seems like its too hard then drop the creatures hit points, give the players the option to retreat or some other reasonable option to make sure they dont buy the farm. Have a trap malfunction on a successive round, or something similar. Two key points is to know relatively what your party can handle and dont let them know youre fudging things as you go. I only do this when Im not using a monster out of one of the published 5E books.

I'd say the table you gave from the book looks pretty close, but then again I dont have a really good handle on the math behind the rules myself.

Remove ads