Damage reduction 30/fire

kreynolds

First Post
I have a feeling that a GM tossed a monster with that mysterious DR at (Psi)SeveredHead and he's been trying to figure out what it was. Am I far off the mark, (Psi)SeveredHead?

MythandLore

First Post
I guess they do, very interesting.
That sounds pretty good for webs.

But I'm still wondering where he found DR 30/fire.
DR 30/anything is huge.

MythandLore

First Post
The damage reduction 5/fire" (MM p. 210) is starting to make me wonder if it is almost like DR 5/-.
Seems kinda pointless because fire would normally hurt someone with DR 5/-, very odd indeed.

kreynolds

First Post
I think I get it now. Think about Lycanthropes. They have DR ?/silver. Well, silver is a mundance substance, so is fire. Perhaps they are saying the DR 5/fire can be bypassed by mundane fire and anything else magical. Makes sense, sort of.

Actually, the more I think about it the less sense it makes and more I want to throttle the books editors. :)

Last edited:

MythandLore

First Post
kreynolds said:
Actually, the more I think about it the less sense it makes and more I want to throttle the books editors. :)
Yep.

Doesn't "mundane fire" already hurt a creature with DR the same way "mundane acid" would or freazing to death in the arctic?
DR X/fire still is confusing to me.

kreynolds

First Post
I'm starting to wonder if that was their way of saying all mundance attacks, such as pouring acid on it, would be ignored. Or it could be their way of saying, DOH!!!!

MythandLore

First Post
kreynolds said:
I'm starting to wonder if that was their way of saying all mundance attacks, such as pouring acid on it, would be ignored.
Maybe, I coud see how cold would have a hard time hurting it, but what about ice, sonic or lightning?
It's all screwy.
Anyway, I think they should have gave it hardness 5, and then...
Just said fire can bypass the hardness of the web.
DR doesn't even make sense for an object, objects have hardness right?

kreynolds said:
Or it could be their way of saying, DOH!!!!
Yeah, it's starting to sound like it.

Remove ads