D&D 5E Damage Spell Scaling

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
Aren't wizards proficient in quarterstaves? Sounds plenty practical and a wizard who didn't skimp on Strength would be outdamaging cantrips. If they picked up one of the weapon cantrips like Green Flame Blade, they'd stay ahead.

How does this compare to the main combat progression of the Rogue?
Does the wizard have to burn a spell slot or similar to do so?

I just reskinned green flame blade and sword to magical blunt damage With the descriptor of being hit by a staff. Doing something similar for daggers.
Rogues advance in damage at the same rate as fighters, adding the equivalent of ~3d6 at each tier. Wizards are roughly 2-3 dice below that, but they also have worse weapons and defenses, which can make it harder for them to attack effectively. (A pure rogue has twice as many HP as a wizard.)

There's no resource expenditure required. This is their at-will attack, which is supposed to replace cantrips.

I often wonder why people that want dpr balance just don’t play 13th age

Tony Vargas

Legend
I often wonder why people that want dpr balance just don’t play 13th age
It's not D&D.
It's the classic conundrum, really, you notice that D&D is not such a great game, you go looking for a better game, you find 10, you pick one you /particularly/ like, and go looking for other folks who have also realized there's better stuff out there. You find some. They've each also picked a game they particularly like, that's better than D&D. They're all different. They're not even all chosen from the same list of 10.

You end up playing D&D.

;P

Last edited:

Ashrym

Legend
It's not D&D.
It's the classic conundrum, really, you notice that D&D is not such a great game, you go looking for a better game, you find 10, you pick one you /particularly/ like, and go looking for other folks who have also realized there's better stuff out there. You find some. They've each also picked a game they particularly like, that's better than D&D. They're all different. They're not even all chosen from the same list of 10.

You end up playing D&D.

;P
Lol, I didn't say that. The quote is a lie!! :coffee:, lol?

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
It's not D&D.

You end up playing D&D.

;P
That is so true.

Remove ads