• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Danger at the White Lotus Academy *Spoilers*

chaotix42

First Post
An adventure designed to take advantage of the lore established in the article Dragon 374: White Lotus Academy.

I have yet to give this adventure a deep reading, but I quickly noticed the return of one of my favorite monsters: [sblock]the spell weaver! In this adventure he's a "spell weaver collector," a 7th level solo controller. This guy has six different minor action at-will powers, and a really nice recharge minor action power that only targets bloodied arcane PCs! He extracts a portion of your arcane soul, dazing you and healing himself. Very cool power that hinges on power source, something new to 4e (I think). Also, if he's dazed he can take a standard & minor action as well as take immediate actions. Extra coolness.

He has a power that dazes you and forces you to attack your nearest ally with a standard action, too. It doesn't say who gets to choose the standard action (save ends both), so I'm inclined to suggest errata that just changes it to dominated (save ends). Otherwise mean DMs will be forcing PCs to use daily powers on their friends.[/sblock]

BTW, how do I hide my spoilers with a button?

Thanks PCat! ^_^

Last edited:

Khuxan

First Post
It might be easier to mark the whole thread as containing spoilers - it's hard to see what else we'd talk about in an adventure thread.

chaotix42

First Post
Good point! Title edited. I just wanted to hide my info because if you're browsing the topics and you hover your mouse over it you'd see the spoiler. I don't think the tags are really necessary anymore.

Tremorsense

First Post
This adventure is really growing on me. It's not my ususal kind of thing, but I'd like to find someway to fit it into my game. The skill challenge especially.

Very cool power that hinges on power source, something new to 4e (I think)

I'm pretty wary about the inclusion of things like this. While this one sounds decent since the monster has to pursue someone of a power source, I worry that eventually we'll see something akin to "Resist 10 Arcane." And that will rightfully anger players since there's nothing they can do to circumvent their power source.

NexH

First Post
While probably I won't use nor adapt the adventure itself, there are many very interesting things within:

The classification of Single-use terrains is new to me, and many of the special terrains in the adventure were very inspirational.
I love the illustration and stats for the Spell Weaver, though I'd have liked more detailed info about them (even if also in 3rd edition they were mostly described as mysterious and unknowable). I also like: telepathy with a range of sight.
The step-based skill challenge is also new to me, and I found it very interesting.

All in all, I will probably plunder this adventure for many of the rich ideas it holds.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm pretty wary about the inclusion of things like this. While this one sounds decent since the monster has to pursue someone of a power source, I worry that eventually we'll see something akin to "Resist 10 Arcane." And that will rightfully anger players since there's nothing they can do to circumvent their power source.
Considering there are monsters that resist weapon damage (Hence not allowing Martial characters to circumvent their power source), I think resist arcane is fair.

Remove ads