Danger Gal Dossier Does Double Duty

Over 100 NPCs to use as allies, enemies, rivals, and lovers in Cyberpunk Red.

1694101927831.png

While the gadgets and the gear are what makes Cyberpunk Red cool, what I love about my games are the characters. I love the classic tropes of calling in a favor from a friend, hitting up an old friend for information on your current job and even the sudden yet inevitable betrayal when the corporations corrupt them. A lot of world building happens in these conversations in dingy gun shops and virtual sex clubs. Sometimes it can be hard to come up with a colorful character on the spot and that’s where Danger Gal Dossier comes to the rescue. Designers J. Gray, James Hutt, Anne Morrison, Chris Spivey, David Ackerman, Frances Stewart, Kate Bullock, Linda M Evans, Malize Evans, Melissa Wong, Noura Ibrahim, Paris Arrowsmith, Steve Kenson,Trace Wilson,Tracie Hearne and Tsuneo Tateno have packed this book full of over one hundred NPCs to use as allies, enemies, rivals and lovers. R. Talsorian Games sent a copy fresh from Gen Con for my review. How do these characters line up? Let’s play to find out.

Danger Gal Dossier presents itself as a document from the titular corporation, a cat-themed group of edgerunners who are also a security firm in Night City. The characters are broken up into fifteen factions that appear all ofer the map in terms of cyberpunk adversaries. You’ve got the classic clown themes gang The Bozos, some examples of the NCPD, media reps from Network 54 and even the Danger Girls themselves. There’s even a space for some celebrity writeups here. Ever wanted stats for a true cyberpunk version of Matthew Lillard’s Hackers character? Cereal Killer lives, man! Characters are broken down into four broad categories: mook, lieutenant, mini-boss and boss, with some characters getting a hardened writeup that’s like a half step in between the power categories. The back of the book also has an index that breaks each character down by faction, build and role, so if you need to suddenly drop a fixer into a location you weren;t expecting your players to go, you can quickly find one.

Each character comes with a short flavorful write up to let them be used as is.The write ups also link to other members in the faction to provide story hooks as players get caught up in rivalries and agendas outside their own. I enjoyed each of the factions and how they add forces pushing within Night City doing their own thing.

These factions also provide a little bit of, dare I say it, corporate synergy, as these characters are also the ones featured in Cyberpunk Red: Combat Zone the new miniatures game from Monster Fight Club. You don’t need the minis game to be able to use this book for Cyberpunk Red but it is certainly useful for fans of both to get a little more information on their miniatures before they send them off to war.

The book also contains rules for making new NPCs. While I may never dig into these because it’s just easier for me to reskin one of the other NPCs in the book, they also seem like faster and cleaner guidelines for making player characters. I love the lifepaths and choosing templates but the speedy process here also appeals to folks who want to get playing without agonizing over point spends or buying gear.

Danger Gal Dossier offers plenty of meat for the Cyberpunk Red GM and might even tempt you to try out the minis game.

If you found this review useful, please consider purchasing the produc through the embedded affiliate links. Thanks for your support!

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

Bagpuss

Legend
Anyway in the end it is completely up to you if this cyberpunk red got you into it then look around and discover that there is much more out there than just this small video game promo RPG.

Far from small, R.Talsorian Games has been publishing Cyberpunk since 1988, the video game is based on the RPG not the other way round. Cyberpunk Red is effectively a 4th edition of the setting, there was Cyberpunk set in 2013 (had about five supplements before it was updated), with Cyberpunk 2020 (came out in 1990), had about 30 supplements (not including 3rd party publishers) this was probably the most popular setting and is still preferred by some now. The final supplements for it were two campaign books starting off the 4th Corporate War, a planned 3rd book never got published.

Then CyberGeneration set in 2027 (from 1993) this was an alternate timeline, with characters being nanite superpowered kids fighting back against polluting corporate powers.

Cyberpunk 203X - published in 2005, wasn't well received and didn't get much support at all, it was much more a transhumanist setting, set after the 4th Corporate War. In fact it is now considered an alternate timeline.

Then when CDPR decided to do a Cyberpunk 2077 video game they brought in Mike Pondsmith due to his decades of experience in the genre, and he decided to update Cyberpunk RPG setting to span the gap between 2030 and 2077, which is Cyberpunk Red set in 2045 again after the 4th Corporate War but ignoring CyberGeneration and 203X.

So it's a bit far from a small video game promo, its a massive setting with about forty years of history behind it, Red already has six supplements for it, plus a load of support online. Not sure how well supported the other games you mention are, but it seems other than Shadowrun they seem pretty small in comparison.

ChoomInCT

Villager
Far from small, R.Talsorian Games has been publishing Cyberpunk since 1988, the video game is based on the RPG not the other way round. Cyberpunk Red is effectively a 4th edition of the setting, there was Cyberpunk set in 2013 (had about five supplements before it was updated), with Cyberpunk 2020 (came out in 1990), had about 30 supplements (not including 3rd party publishers) this was probably the most popular setting and is still preferred by some now. The final supplements for it were two campaign books starting off the 4th Corporate War, a planned 3rd book never got published.

Then CyberGeneration set in 2027 (from 1993) this was an alternate timeline, with characters being nanite superpowered kids fighting back against polluting corporate powers.

Cyberpunk 203X - published in 2005, wasn't well received and didn't get much support at all, it was much more a transhumanist setting, set after the 4th Corporate War. In fact it is now considered an alternate timeline.

Then when CDPR decided to do a Cyberpunk 2077 video game they brought in Mike Pondsmith due to his decades of experience in the genre, and he decided to update Cyberpunk RPG setting to span the gap between 2030 and 2077, which is Cyberpunk Red set in 2045 again after the 4th Corporate War but ignoring CyberGeneration and 203X.

So it's a bit far from a small video game promo, its a massive setting with about forty years of history behind it, Red already has six supplements for it, plus a load of support online. Not sure how well supported the other games you mention are, but it seems other than Shadowrun they seem pretty small in comparison.
I love Shadowrun, but it can feel overwhelming in its complexity and lore. Even the latest edition has a ton of splat books for it. If my players were as into it as I am that wouldn't be a problem, but CP is less crunch and more their style. I also saw an interesting response online that I feel is worthwhile: In Cyberpunk 2020/Red, everything that happened is mankind's fault. The rot, the dystopia, we brought it on ourselves. In Shadowrun, the bad guys are sometimes human, sometimes not. Sometimes its a dragon pulling the strings, or a spirit. In cyberpunk, maybe its a rogue AI, but more often than not you've got some pretty evil people out there doing bad things.

I love Shadowrun, but it can feel overwhelming in its complexity and lore. Even the latest edition has a ton of splat books for it. If my players were as into it as I am that wouldn't be a problem, but CP is less crunch and more their style.
Yeah, I got overwhelmed by the crunch of Shadowrun after a while. I wish Shadowrun Anarchy got more traction, as it's more rules-light, but Anarchy just hasn't gotten as much official support.

I also saw an interesting response online that I feel is worthwhile: In Cyberpunk 2020/Red, everything that happened is mankind's fault. The rot, the dystopia, we brought it on ourselves. In Shadowrun, the bad guys are sometimes human, sometimes not. Sometimes its a dragon pulling the strings, or a spirit. In cyberpunk, maybe its a rogue AI, but more often than not you've got some pretty evil people out there doing bad things.

Shadowrun's fantasy elements do sometimes obscure the social commentary, whereas Cyberpunk keeps the focus on people - the history can feel all to plausible at times.

The goblinization in Shadowurn says a whole lot about racism, though it's somewhat undercuts its own message in places.

Remove ads

Remove ads