• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dangerous Journeys...

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Is that the reason for all the new terminology in the game as well? Seems to me TSR's lawsuit named a whole bunch of D&D terms (hp, AC, etc, etc) as being evidence that Mr. Gygax was infringing on their IP. Whether or not that had any validity, I wonder if he changed everything to avoid the issue?

I have no inside information on the matter whatsoever, but I would be utterly amazed if this were not the case.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Terminology, not based on Lawsuit, only a change of the game name. Gary's never thought that the terms hp, AC, character, etc., have to be an RPG standard, just a D&D standard. He actually likes to reinvent himself a lot.

As far as the lawsuit goes, this is text from the actual case.

http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/copyright/cases/tsr_vs_gdw2.txt

It seems like if they could win against EGG, they'd be able to sue everybody for similarly thin concepts.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I always wanted to adopt the magic system to my D&D campaign, but never did. I like the concept that different casters have different sources of power, and very different powers. Never played it. Still own some of the books, and re-read them for flavor every once in a great while.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, did he ever use Uerth as a setting for any of his games?
Some quick Google-fu found me a couple of answers.

Oerth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oerth, Aerth, Uerth, Yarth, Earth from Expedition to Greyhawk Ruins | Planewalker

Uerth was used by Mona and company in Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk. This was different from Gygax's Uerth of which there is only one published mention, a Polyhedron article quoted in the first link.

Some quick Google-fu found me a couple of answers.

Oerth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oerth, Aerth, Uerth, Yarth, Earth from Expedition to Greyhawk Ruins | Planewalker

Uerth was used by Mona and company in Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk. This was different from Gygax's Uerth of which there is only one published mention, a Polyhedron article quoted in the first link.
Sometimes flippancy leads to interesting results! Curious that he used Yarth but never Iarth. Other than Yarth they can all conceivably be pronounced as "Earth".

Remove ads