Dark Phoenix Trailer 2

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
[video=youtube;Kl65sgNDPg8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl65sgNDPg8[/video]

It says "Coming Soon". They've pushed back the release a couple of times already, and now it doesn't even have a solid release date anymore?

It says "Coming Soon". They've pushed back the release a couple of times already, and now it doesn't even have a solid release date anymore?

From my understanding there's been tons of reshoots and even the mention that it could be as bad as the Fantastic Four movie was but from what I just found out via a quick search it's set to be out on June 7, 2019 and based on the trailers i think it was jsut panic from the fact that the reshoots happened.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm worried. The trailer looks OK, but doesn't have a feeling of magic to it. That alone is OK as trailers often (usually?) don't really give an accurate picture of the film. But the rumors are just so negative. Hopefully they're only rumors.

My biggest concern is that part of the reason the original Claremont-Byrne Dark Phoenix story was so powerful is that it was after years and years of Marvel Girl, Jean Grey, and then Phoenix character development. We just didn't get enough Jean Grey to really become attached, and certainly not enough "good" Phoenix. So I just don't see how they can pull this off. It doesn't have to be a remake of the comics, but given that the comic book story is one of the very greatest and most revered superhero stories ever, they have to do something pretty damn epic.

I think another problem is that Sophie Turner just doesn't have the chops to handle the role, in my opinion. A better choice would have been Saoirse Ronan or even Brie Larson. But that ship has sailed.

At this point I think they just have to release it and hope for the best. We'll see what Marvel does with the franchise -- if, or how, they incorporate it into the MCU. I mean, that's the big mystery, right? What does Marvel have planned - not just with the X-Men but also the core MCU? Do they cast new actors for the old characters (probably bad idea), new characters taking on the old roles (this seems likely as it gives them the opportunity to pander to identity politics), or go full reboot (also possible)?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
My biggest concern is that part of the reason the original Claremont-Byrne Dark Phoenix story was so powerful is that it was after years and years of Marvel Girl, Jean Grey, and then Phoenix character development. We just didn't get enough Jean Grey to really become attached, and certainly not enough "good" Phoenix. So I just don't see how they can pull this off. It doesn't have to be a remake of the comics, but given that the comic book story is one of the very greatest and most revered superhero stories ever, they have to do something pretty damn epic.

This. To do this story justice, and for it to have the impact the original story did, the third film with a character just isn't enough. It needs to be something akin to Avengers: Infinity War, built up over many years. I mean, imagine how it would be if Iron Man turned world-shatteringly powerful and evil in Avengers: Endgame and the other heroes needed to stop him?

Last edited:

Remove ads