• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun, 4th Edition

Should WotC update Dark Sun for 4th Edition?

breschau

First Post
Should WotC create / release an official update for the Dark Sun campaign setting.

To quote: A simple yes or no will do.

But, feel free to discuss the merits of the setting below.

Patlin

Explorer
I wouldn't mind a Dark Sun game, and I might even buy an updated DS campaign setting. However, it's pretty low on my list... I'd rather see them throw the designer resources at other things first. Eberron is my campaign setting of choice, for example.

A big hardcover "Worlds of Adventure" sort of book with just enough to get started on DS, Ravenloft, Al Quadim, and Planescape I'd buy in a second. That might also be good marketing. I understand the randomized minis work well because people will buy a box even if they don't like each individual mini, so there is less guesswork in predicting product demand. Throwing a bunch of campaign settings together might work the same way. Fans of all four settings would all buy the same book, possibly making it financially viable as a whole when it might not be individually.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Why waste time on Darksun when they can resurrect Spelljammer? Now that was good times! No, wait...I like me some carnivorous Halflings and half-breed Dwarves (pronounced mule or mull?). Oh, whatever. I won't buy it anyway.

Benben

First Post
Voted no.

I don't think WotC should publish the setting. Like Ravenloft they should hand off the publishing to a 3rd part, once WotC has published their psionic rules for 4e.

Snarls-at-Fleas

First Post
Undecided.
The first adventure I've ever run was in Dark Sun world. So nostalgie says "Yes - ressurrect it!". But I never ever tried it after that - so, I dont't think I will do so in it's 4E incarnation.

Ktulu

First Post
In all honesty, I'd rather see new material published, rather than re-hashing older material.

If they did re-publish the settings, I'd like to see it done like the Return to Castle Ravenloft, or Greyhawk. Give me a big module from which to get an idea on the setting without publishing a sourcebook +500 splatbooks I won't buy.

Otherwise, the idea above on having a book with a lot of campaign settings in one book could be cool, too.

Ktulu

Remove ads