D&D 5E Dark Sun 5E conversion - draft

Dispater

Explorer
You guys are missing the obvious. The core idea of 2e was the defiler went up levels quicker, and thus had access to more spells faster.
To make that work in 5e, simply have a defiler class with more spells than the preserver. Easy fix.

In my campaign the spellcasters roll for the power of their spells. Defilers simply always roll a greater die. But thats a different mechanic I dont want to lay out in detail here.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
...The core idea of 2e was the defiler went up levels quicker, and thus had access to more spells faster. To make that work in 5e, simply have a defiler class with more spells than the preserver....
The Defiler as a separate class in this Edition is where we run into the problem that a 6th level preserver is in a life and death situation and resolves that defiling, for the first time in her life, is necessary for the greater good. She never defiles again. Is she now a defiler class with more power? Can she abuse the rules, defile one time, then preserve the rest of her career, to get a power bump? That's where I'm having to craft against it being a "path" or a different class.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Defiling should be a choice, not a class. I think the simplest solution within the constraints of 5e mechanics is this:

All arcane spells are cast naturally (preserver) at their level. Casting spells at a higher level, as detailed in their descriptions, requires defiling. That alone is going to change a lot of the dynamics for spells like Counterspell.

For any further consequences, both narrative and mechanical, individuals will likely develop something appealing to their own designs, such as ideas seen in this and so many other threads.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Latest draft with modifications (balance) for several races, and delving into the class section. I'm trying to keep classes simple, comparable to the 3rd edition conversion, and most changes are cosmetic. The cleric has been a project. All other conversions have simply created the 4 elemental domains, but I like the diversity of choice, and so I've attempted to translate, with some modification, existing domains into the elements. That will be for a future draft.

In summary, I think the races look pretty good.

Attachments

• Dark Sun 5E Campaign Guide - draft version 1.1.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 1,410

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The Defiler as a separate class in this Edition is where we run into the problem that a 6th level preserver is in a life and death situation and resolves that defiling, for the first time in her life, is necessary for the greater good. She never defiles again. Is she now a defiler class with more power? Can she abuse the rules, defile one time, then preserve the rest of her career, to get a power bump? That's where I'm having to craft against it being a "path" or a different class.

I'm not sure where I read it, but I could have sworn there were rules for switching between the two types of arcane magic. Something that allowed a preserver to defile but require atonement or fall and a defiler to give up defiling magic and switch to a preserver. I'm sure it was in 2e and that going from defiler to preserver could cost you some levels but for the life of me, I can't recall where I read it.

Like you, I think defiling works much better if it is a choice made by the caster rather than having a preserver/defiler split. If defiling causes penalties to accrue every time you defile then those who follow the path of preservation will likely seek to atone when they are forced into a situation where they need to defile. This also sets up a temptation for the player. Do they seek the power of defiling magic thinking the benefits outweigh the penalties, or do they seek to resist the power and work to restore their world.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I stumbled across a 5E homebrew using GM binder format where the author homebrewed a Wisdom save if a preserver defiled to avoid changing to the defiler class. But again, two separate classes.

To make that permanent defiling score mean more, I like the 3rd edition new spell "detect defiler" and the new druid spell that damages only defilers, with a penalty on the save equal to your defiler score. While you may not be likely to cross paths with a druid, if you're a defiler you take your chances. It also enhances the animosity between druids and sorcerer kings. There's not many beings in Athas they legitimately could fear, but a high level druid might be one, and that's why the sorcerer kings hunt them to extinction.

Dispater

Explorer
In my campaign, preservers shift alignement one step as a result of 'defiling taint' every time they defile. Once they reach an evil alignement, they can choose to switch to to defiler (having no more moral qualms about taking life). Once they actually reach Chaotic Evil that change is made wether the player wants to or not. The spellcaster's mind is now so warped and obsessed with power that it becomes the default.

You can still have Preservers defile while retaining them as a separarate class from defilers. Just make 'defiling' an optional feature when they cast spells.

Dispater

Explorer
Latest draft with modifications (balance) for several races, and delving into the class section. I'm trying to keep classes simple, comparable to the 3rd edition conversion, and most changes are cosmetic. The cleric has been a project. All other conversions have simply created the 4 elemental domains, but I like the diversity of choice, and so I've attempted to translate, with some modification, existing domains into the elements. That will be for a future draft.

In summary, I think the races look pretty good.

Its interesting seeing all these 5e conversions of DS coming up. I did mine about a year ago, and everyone has different ideas. It is refreshing to read.

You are going to have to have a long, hard think about the classes (as did I). Once I started going down that road I realized the core 5e vanilla classes didn't have that DS feel, and that WotC is too obsessed about arcane subclasses for everything; which doesn't make a fit for DS. It took some time converting classes, I suspect you will need to take some time to do this too. Good luck!

Remove ads