• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun Alternate History

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Aaron L said:
The Athas.org ecision to not include Monks is still mind boggling to me. Unarmed and unarmored warriors who use medatative, essentialy psionic, powers not fitting suitable for Athas? They are like a perfect fit. I plan on using the A.O version if I ever run a game, but incleing Monks is a no brainer.

Apart from that, I think the Athas.org version is just about perfect.
Coolness :). I recently resigned from athas.org, but it's always good to hear that the material is appreciated. The monk thing always baffled me - but my time with athas.org began much after the classes selection was settled on, so it was pretty much a moot point. I houseruled them into my home games without any fuss (er, well, until I had to deal with a thri-kreen fighter/monk/psychic warrior, which proved to be a truly brutal combo, lol). There is a monk prestige class in the prcl download which is pretty neat, though.

Nyaricus

First Post
Mark Hope said:
I'm not a huge fan of the Paizo version (although it has some very cool ideas in there, such as blood obsidian and their take on the elan), but just to play devil's advocate for a minute, there are ways to include paladins, sorcerers and monks in the DS setting. Monks are probably the easiest, as there are already several monasteries scattered across Athas, from those in Nibenay, to the schools in Raam, to the Villichi convents. Sorcerers are likewise not too hard, once you ditch the idea that they have dragon blood (although there is an interesting angle that makes them long-scattered descendants of fecund sorcerer-monarchs like Abalach-re). Just treat sorcerers as spellcasters who don't need books and learn their spells by some other method. Done and dusted. As for paladins, Xlorepdarkhelm over on the WotC DS board has a great take on paladins. There's a link to it in the sticky archive thread at the top.
Well, I think Athas.org has it right when it states that Sorcerers should be left out because it infringes on the Psions niche (spontaneous caster), and it's a class which doesn't stick out as much as the Wizard (who must have his spellbook with him, which marks him). In AD&D, there were no sorcerers, so this wasn't an issue when DS came out.

Monks have a decent PrC in DS, the Psionic Monk, which is about as close as I'd let the monk class get to DS :)

Do you have a direct link to that alt. Paladin class? I'd have to reserve judgement in that untill I see it; otherwise, the Pally is out too.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Nyaricus said:
Well, I think Athas.org has it right when it states that Sorcerers should be left out because it infringes on the Psions niche (spontaneous caster), and it's a class which doesn't stick out as much as the Wizard (who must have his spellbook with him, which marks him). In AD&D, there were no sorcerers, so this wasn't an issue when DS came out.
Yeah, those are the usual arguments against the sorcerer, but I've always seen them as pretty flimsy. The fact that WotC was happy to release both the psion and the sorcerer nixes the niche argument for me. But I understand that plenty of folks see that as an important consideration, so ymmv and all that. The other point is a stronger one, imho, and comes down to how you portray your sorcerers. I use the 2e system from Defilers and Preservers that gathering spell energy gives off visible wisps of green energy, so sorcerer's have scant to no advantage over wizards. Some sorcerers in my game have spellbooks that contain their spells known - they just don't need to consult them every day. By comparison, plenty of wizards have non-standard spellbooks, like tattoos, bone trinkets woven into their hair etc. But I agree with you - for a general, public release, athas.org can't factor homebrew issues like this into the picture.

Monks have a decent PrC in DS, the Psionic Monk, which is about as close as I'd let the monk class get to DS :)
It's neat. Nyt worked on that one for ages and I think he got the balance right.

Do you have a direct link to that alt. Paladin class? I'd have to reserve judgement in that untill I see it; otherwise, the Pally is out too.
Here you go: Xlorep's Athasian Paladin. I don't use it myself (I'm a purist in that regard) but it's a cool class nevertheless and plenty folks have found it to their liking.

Nyaricus

First Post
Sorcerer: Well, that's just my opinion, but my 2e-bred DM agreed on the spot to follow Athas.org's guidelines on dropping the sorcerer, so I am behind him on that, and in agreeance with Athas.org.

I personally don't think anyone is looking to take that PrC in my group, but I'll keep it in mind, just to try somehting different in time :)

Hmmm, that Paladin is actually pretty darn neat! I really like what's been done with it, and would love if it could be incorperated into my DS game. I'll have to make sure my DM is aware of the WotC DS boards, along with this class :)

Remove ads