Dark Sun and Essentials

Flobby

Explorer
Is there any info on using essentials classes with Dark Sun? Official or Unofficial. For example using themes with essentials classes...

Actually, related question, can you use paragon paths with essentials classes?

chitzk0i

Explorer
Presumably, Essentials classes can use themes, they just can't swap out types of powers they don't have. And, yes, Essentials classes can use other paragon paths. Each class is presented with one PP for simplicity. The PP name is shown in parenthesis beside each feature of that PP. Just ignore those and add in whatever PP you actually want.

Insight

Adventurer
There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use Essentials classes in Dark Sun. Just like any other setting. Think of the Essentials classes like alternate options for existing classes. Would you ban Battlerage Fighters or Whirling Slayer Barbarians? (Well maybe you should, but that's another matter entirely!) I don't know why people have this separation in their minds between the "core"/classic 4E classes and the Essentials versions. They can easily be played in the same group.

As for themes and paragon paths, again, think of the Essentials versions as alternate options for the existing classes. Anyone can use any theme (at least the ones I've seen), so that's not an issue. In terms of paragon paths, as long as they qualify, I don't see that it would matter.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Dark Sun is a world where every mistake has brutal consequences, where mere survival is a daily struggle, a world of gray areas and moral complexity. In this savage land, 'heroes' must claw out any advantage they can get to survive.

The so-called "Essentials" classes have no place among the blood-drenched dunes of Athas!

;)

Obryn

Hero
I run a Dark Sun game and have a 50-50 mix of Essentials and Core classes. There haven't been any problems so far.

I mean, the Thief can't pick too much stuff from her Wasteland Nomad theme, but I don't think there's an issue with simply not being able to pick some stuff. The player made that call when she picked Thief instead of Rogue.

They still get their Encounter power and whatnot - that's unchanged.

Now, you may not be able to use a lot of the book if you run E-only, but again - that's your call.

-O

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Being able to pick up stuff from your theme and wanting to pick up stuff from your theme are not the same concept.

Essentials can take a theme, and if that theme doesn't offer then something they need at higher levels... no loss.

BobTheNob

First Post
Its a bit annoying that, essentials wise, only one tank and one leader are applicable to Dark sun, given that warpriest and cavalier are divine and therefore not selectable in the CB for Darksun (WOTC...could you please get around to campaign editing!).

I so wish the next essentials book was covering off a few more "core" variants like warlord and warden, nice dark sun appropriate things :)

Its a bit annoying that, essentials wise, only one tank and one leader are applicable to Dark sun, given that warpriest and cavalier are divine and therefore not selectable in the CB for Darksun (WOTC...could you please get around to campaign editing!).

I so wish the next essentials book was covering off a few more "core" variants like warlord and warden, nice dark sun appropriate things :)

Switch out the divine keyword for primal. Now you can have clerics. That's a quick-and-dirty way of doing things. (I often base templar NPCs around clerics, since warlock-themed artillery NPCs are kind of wimpy and complex.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases