D&D 5E Dark Sun Conversion: Campaign Guide & Monster Manual

Larnievc

Hero
Gladiator didn't feel like it needed to be a separate class, and several features of the samurai subtype fit perfectly with a gladiator, particularly the Charisma-based traits. Much of a gladiator's appeal would be from their style, given battles to the death are particularly rare events (otherwise, we'd run out quick).

Otherwise, the timeline was meant to be generic (pre or post Kalak). I have plans to run a pre-Kalak campaign (incorporating Freedom and letting the party be the ones to have a shot at stopping Kalak's ascension), and eventually I'll have to bring out my Dregoth material.
I ran Dregoth Rising from Athas.org back in the day. Good fun.

Good thinking on the Samurai. And seriously, your stuffs pretty damn good. I plan to use it at some point 👍

Geeknamese

Explorer
A dropbox link is on the original post to the PDF. If you're looking to modify with GM Binder, holler and I can provide that link.

And totally don't mind constructive criticism or discussion on what others are doing or have done. I easily looked over a dozen different conversions before I ever got to work.

Sorry I’m just blind or something but in the OP, I only see a DropBox link for your Monster Manual and not the campaign guide.

Coroc

Hero
Did read through the MM now, really great work thanks for it again. Also the psionic powers of the mobs are translated pretty versatile, you could bring them in line with any of the UA approaches on psionics.

squibbles

Adventurer
Hey man, I continue to be a fan of your tasteful Darksun nerdlove.

I haven't read through all of both docs, but I just thought I'd give you some props for continuing to polish your material.

Three thoughts:
1.) What position does your conversion take on the psychic warrior/soul knife/psionics UA?
2.) I like your take on defiling, but I feel like it's not quite tempting enough to ostensible preserver players. 'The temptation will always be there to defile "just this once"' doesn't feel like it would confront players in the way that it confronts PCs in the fluff. For example, the "recover a spell slot" defiler option is way weaker than the Sorcerer's flexible casting feature--in that it requires a full action and provokes an opportunity attack. Maybe defiling should be strong enough that players are tempted to use it in the heat of the moment... just a thought.
3.) @Coroc's half-giant as human w/ permanent enlarge spell is a good idea; you might consider stealing parts of it. My bias would be towards curtailing the Ability score/max bonus and keeping "large hands"--since it's more mechanically interesting.

Keep up the good work.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Hey man, I continue to be a fan of your tasteful Darksun nerdlove.

I haven't read through all of both docs, but I just thought I'd give you some props for continuing to polish your material.

Three thoughts:
1.) What position does your conversion take on the psychic warrior/soul knife/psionics UA?
2.) I like your take on defiling, but I feel like it's not quite tempting enough to ostensible preserver players. 'The temptation will always be there to defile "just this once"' doesn't feel like it would confront players in the way that it confronts PCs in the fluff. For example, the "recover a spell slot" defiler option is way weaker than the Sorcerer's flexible casting feature--in that it requires a full action and provokes an opportunity attack. Maybe defiling should be strong enough that players are tempted to use it in the heat of the moment... just a thought.
3.) @Coroc's half-giant as human w/ permanent enlarge spell is a good idea; you might consider stealing parts of it. My bias would be towards curtailing the Ability score/max bonus and keeping "large hands"--since it's more mechanically interesting.

Keep up the good work.

1. Don't like it for Dark Sun, though tons of promise. Psionics is one of the BIG 3 cores of the setting (races + psionics + defiling). Subtypes are easy but not special. In the end, you're still playing a wizard or warrior.

2. Most players are probably going to be adverse to defiling. But when the enemy starts maximizing damage or twinning spells, you're going to wonder why don't I take advantage of that.... The recover spell slots was intentional design from the 3rd edition conversion, before the 5E sorcerer made it a class feature bonus action. But, it's a pretty powerful feature that is not limited by # of sorcery points, so I was hesitant to make it so easy to do.

3. The d4 means more dice rolling (otherwise, an easy solid bonus), and I'm not a fan of a large, 12 foot tall creature being capped the same as a halfling on Strength. It needs something special to make it special, so being the only race that can get over a 20 Strength does that, with offsetting penalties to reflect their creation centuries ago as strong but weak-willed servants of sorcerer kings and queens.

Remove ads