Dark Sun + Dune + Tattooine + Darwin's World

Turanil

First Post
More for the sake of discussion than anything else... How would you see a mixing of d20 games on a desert planet?

Tattooine. So it's a sci-fi red planet with many deserts, a few cities, and which is inhabited by the "scum" of the galaxy. So there are many races, few laws, and ample opoortunities for adventures. Of course, there is also Jedi knights, or at least force-users.

Dark Sun. This is a dying world, with Sorcerer-kings and a lack of water and metal. Now, because of above, lets say that the Sorcerer Kings are in fact Sith Lords, with "templars" instead of a single apprentice. Lack of metal on this planet means that it must be imported from other planets and asteroids (probably in this same system). The many horrid monsters of Dark Sun should apply very well to this setting.

Darwin's world. Well, I am not much acquainted with this game, but I guess its ambiance would fit very well too.

Dune. Fremens would be cool, as well as the spice, and the Harkonens who become a house of Sith lords.

Okay, bring in your suggestions for this setting :)

Turanil

First Post
diaglo said:
I don't see d02 playing a part in any of those settings.
I want to make a single setting that mixes everything from those four, and fantasy + sci-fi. However, I won't do it myself and want to know what all Enworlders have to say about this obviously extremely important subject...

GlassJaw

Hero
i don't see d02 playing a part in any of those settings.

of course, my hat of d02 knows no limits.

If you don't have anything to offer, isn't it easier to just not post?

Okay, bring in your suggestions for this setting

I think it's a pretty cool idea. My first impression on combining them is to take the politics from Dune and put the Sith lords in power. They have the power and control trade, spice, and perhaps even water. Perhaps the Sith made the planet the way it is now (a desert) and seek to keep it that way. Maybe it's a source of their power.

The "Jedi" of the setting could be a small band of rebels who seek to restore the planet to the way it was. They are, of course, hunted by the Sith and hide out in the Mos Eisleys of the world.

I've always been intrigued by settings that are based on a very specific environment (desert, snow, jungle, etc). There are so many resources you could steal from for a desert setting that I think it would work really well.

Voadam

Legend
darwin's world is just post apocalyptic with mutants, I don't know that there is anything specifically desert world about it.

For the tech you'd probably want to go d20 modern or star wars d20 for the system with possible modern magic add ons instead of a D&D base.

Turanil

First Post
Voadam said:
darwin's world is just post apocalyptic with mutants, I don't know that there is anything specifically desert world about it.
Okay, I believed it was, but if not.... Well, lets keep the mutants and technological stuff (or its scarcity), then discard everything else.

Voadam said:
For the tech you'd probably want to go d20 modern or star wars d20 for the system with possible modern magic add ons instead of a D&D base.
Well, lets use d20 Modern + Future, and add Jedi knights to it. I mean, a conversion of Jedi and Force-Users to d20M (it has been done before in the d20M forum, but the thread is buried now).

Emiricol

Darwin's World has the scavenging/repair rules and technology levels you'd need, plus some wicked-cool psionics (could be tweaked for the power words of the book Dune, too). I would mostly use those parts. The monsters in DW are almost all appropriate too, being mostly a desert setting. Dark Sun is a super feel for a desert planet also, and has some cool flavor and crunch you can plug in directly. Not familiar with Tattooine, but it sounds like Space Western flavor, which for the borderlands of the planet's "civilizations" could be a really cool fit. FREMENS rock. Make them a template, perhaps? That'd be an unusual approach but I think would model them quite well.

Just some thoughts :)

Turanil

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Fremen and renegade Jedi would mix into one culture pretty easily...
I was thinking more about Jedi being the counterpart of Dark Sun's veiled alliance. I see the Fremen too warlike (and prone to anger) to be Jedi. But Jedi could make some alliance with Fremen.

Remove ads