• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun + Essentials interaction

Obryn

Hero
From what I understand.

1) Themes won't work with well with the new Essentials classes.
For some of them. If you're a Martial character, you will just snag the Encounter power you get as a feature; swapping stuff out just won't be an option.

2) The Darksun book has feats divided by tier, which Essentials is set to remove from the game.
No, these aren't being removed from the game. There just may not be many new ones. Essentials characters can still take normal paragon and epic feats.

3) It also has magic items without the new magic items rarity rules that will be errata-ed into the game come Essentials.
Pretty sure all of them will be Uncommon.

-O

Mummolus

First Post
Wizards has indicated that they're going to add themes for other campaign settings (through Dragon Magazine and such presumably, if not new books regarding them), so really I don't see the conflict. Themes remain an optional third-pillar of character creation, to be used as a given DM sees fit.

Aegeri

First Post
From what I understand.

1) Themes won't work with well with the new Essentials classes.

Actually themes still work with 2 of the essentials classes, it's the 3 martial ones that can't benefit. Also you can still power swap utility powers and essentials classes will still get the free encounter power.

Also themes for the general game are being published later for the PoL and such. So themes are hardly an outdated rules mechanic.

2) The Darksun book has feats divided by tier, which Essentials is set to remove from the game.

This is not a change in rules, this is a change in presentation and sometimes mechanics (feats scaling by tier). Wizards have already stated that tier requirements won't be going away, just that feats are not organized by tier to make building a character and seeing your options easier.

3) It also has magic items without the new magic items rarity rules that will be errata-ed into the game come Essentials.

As far as I understand - I may be wrong here - but everything magical published pre-essentials will be uncommon. So it won't require a lot of errata at all.

Vael

Legend
Honestly, the rarity system makes more sense in Dark Sun, due to the general lack of metal and nature of the world. Dark Sun already pushes for the inherent bonus system ... I'd be tempted to say there are no common items at all, common items are treated as uncommon, uncommon as rare, rare as non-existent/artifact.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads