D&D 5E Dark Sun Spiritual Successor on Kickstarter: Red Dawn: Into the Dawnlands

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm well aware of Darksuns themes. Have you read the final product tthough? Might be good might be crap.
It’s a Kickstarter. I’ve read enough to know I don’t want to back it. If it turns out better than I thought, great, but I’m not pledging based on what they’ve shown.
Basically if the villains are being villains I'm basically fine with there actions.
Sure, the problem isn’t that the villains do villain things, it’s that the Kickstarter is displaying a recreation of the content of Dark Sun without an understanding of its underlying themes.
This isn't really doing anything the original didn't.
That’s the issue, yeah.
I've often thought about a not Darksun game similar to this.
Currently working on a post apocalyptic campaign basically rping off Fallout4.
Ok? What you do in your own campaigns is your own business.
Force Awakens and Pathfinder guilty of same thing execution will be the main thing.
Guilty of what same thing?

TheSword

Legend
I’m finding the whole explosion of derivative products a bit wearing to be honest. I think it’s one thing to see a spin off of a core rule set like Pathfinder to 3e or Level Up to 5e. That’s taking a core system and expanding it. Though when writers basically piggyback off the fluff (for want of a better word) and the crunch to sell product, something doesn’t sit quite right.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
So, I theoretically could use this content, even the fluff. I can just set these cities, and their rulers, as in a different part of Athas, far from Tyr and the other "main" cities on that one map.

That said, as many have pointed out... this project really is just plagiarism. There is a difference between homage and rip-off, and this definitely tilts to the latter. If I wrote this setting up in a class and presented it as my own work, I would get an automatic fail for copying another established creator.

So no, definitely can't support this.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Also this is off-topic but I don't want to make a separate thread for this, but what is the race of this fellow on the left?

1629995780524.png

Straight-up calling a race Thralls is an, ah, bold move. Pretty much straight-up copying Wizards' IP, that's even bolder. I've been thinking about writing a 5e setting centered around an interdimensional city called Glyph, ruled by the Queen of Agony. I think I'll call it Landscape.

As far as I can tell, neither of the people involved have any RPG publishing credits prior to this.

darjr

I crit!
Yea, this is a no go for me for a lot of reasons, But there is one hat strikes me as especially brain dead about the setting.
Cataclysm?!?!

What the actual not getting the point!

Dark Sun is a ruin because “we” did it with “our” greed and hubris and grasp for power.

That’s, like the whole freaking point!

pukunui

Legend
Not impressed. Among other things, the poor spelling and grammar are a big turn-off.

I’m also not convinced the authors fully understand the concept of a tidally locked desert world and just how uninhabitable it would be. Yes, sure, maybe the magic of the “Sorcerer overloads” keeps the planet habitable, but still … I think I would struggle to suspend my disbelief.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases