D&D 5E Dark Sun Spiritual Successor on Kickstarter: Red Dawn: Into the Dawnlands

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
This is the area of the world I would be looking at for a Dark Sun environmental analogue.

View attachment 142832

Or the Tarim basin in what is now western China.

View attachment 142833

What, not the Sahara?

1630033253731.png

I didn't bring up the Sahara, because unlike Khwarazm or the Tarin Basin it's not really known for being able to support city states.

Although there was the Garamantes in historical (Roman) times.

The key thing about central asia is that it has all those mountains which support agriculture around the edges and feed rivers that feed those cities further away from them.

If you don't want rivers then fossil water like the Garamantes is probably your best best, but it tends to be a limited resource.

Edit: I'm not sure I buy that the Tyr region has enough rainfall to support agriculture without there also being rivers or occasional flooding such as in areas of outback Australia

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
It's John Carter/Mad Max fantasy guys, don't overthink it. Fantasy realms don't work on real-world physics; they take an aspect and ramp it up to 11. This is no different.

Also, I'm glad they aren't exactly copy-pasting Dark Sun. Yes, it is heavily influenced by Dark Sun, but so far they have taken their own spin on it. Don't dump on them for being too Dark Sun and then not being Dark Sun. This is their entry product; it's got about the same depth Dark Sun would have had when the initial boxed set came out. Hopefully they'll be able to follow it up with some supplements that let it drift further into becoming its own thing.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
It's John Carter/Mad Max fantasy guys, don't overthink it. Fantasy realms don't work on real-world physics; they take an aspect and ramp it up to 11. This is no different.

Also, I'm glad they aren't exactly copy-pasting Dark Sun. Yes, it is heavily influenced by Dark Sun, but so far they have taken their own spin on it. Don't dump on them for being too Dark Sun and then not being Dark Sun. This is their entry product; it's got about the same depth Dark Sun would have had when the initial boxed set came out. Hopefully they'll be able to follow it up with some supplements that let it drift further into becoming its own thing.

Very much agree. If you think about any fantasy world too long, it's going to break down in logic. After all, magic is not real; even a little of it existing would completely throw off the natural order of a world.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Straight-up calling a race Thralls is an, ah, bold move.
That doesn’t really bother me. I mean, assuming they fill basically the same role as muls, they are literally bred for service, and it makes sense that the masters who bred them would call them Thralls. I don’t imagine they would call themselves that, but it makes sense as the term imposed on them by their owners. It’s not unlike the name mul (pronounced like mule) in that way.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But yeah, it's weird that in the Horrible Desert Setting, you get lots and lots of really big monsters. If you look at real-world deserts, that's not really what happens. Big animals are mainly found in areas where food is abundant, whereas deserts mostly have small animals that have an easy time feeding themselves.
I think that comes from the Dune influence, as well as the (incorrect) intuitive notion that, in a harsh environment, only the strong survive. The reality is of course that the efficient survive, and a lot of the traits we tend to associate with “strength” are not very efficient.

I guess I've been leery of the term ever since I looked into the Conan: Exiles game and it had a core slavery component that they tried to plaster over by calling them "thralls." Gross.

That doesn’t really bother me. I mean, assuming they fill basically the same role as muls, they are literally bred for service, and it makes sense that the masters who bred them would call them Thralls. I don’t imagine they would call themselves that, but it makes sense as the term imposed on them by their owners. It’s not unlike the name mul (pronounced like mule) in that way.

Yeah, I'm not going to sweat the verisimilitude if it's not 100% viable and mapped out. I don't need a fully functional ecosystem, "close enough" will do. Heck, speaking of John Carter, technically with all that radium in use, John Carter and presumably most everyone else would've died horrible deaths.

Remove ads