[Dark Sun] [Spoilertastic] Sorcerer Kings

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I´m one of those guys who loves the backstory of Athas - Rajaat, Boris et. al. will definitely pop up in my campaign. Its history is one of the greatest strenght of the world under the Dark Sun, even if it doesn´t pop up directly in a campaign.

Especially cool are the sorcerer kings living or dead, either because they are a threat to the players when they visit their city states or because they can find artifacts and belongings of those who have died.

I collected a list of all sorcerer kings past and present and wanted to post it here for your leisure (and for constructive criticism and additions, of course).

1-7.png

2-3.png

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm sure all this will be reinvented in the upcoming 4e Dark Sun, but I'll be curious to see how much they keep. I love this sort of history.

Dausuul

Legend
It's my hope that all discussion of Dark Sun history will be carefully avoided in the 4E published material. That way, those who love the official history won't have it trampled on, and those of us who loathe it can make up our own, and neither of us has to rewrite the setting books... and WotC can take the "fluff space" that would have been spent on history and devote it instead to fleshing out the present day.

Last edited:

roguerouge

First Post
I hope that they include a history, since a setting with minimized history can be... awkward for a DM. I don't buy settings so that I can make my own stuff up. That's the point of buying it in the first place.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm wondering if they're going to keep the idea of the genocide of certain races in the 4E version of Dark Sun - i.e., no gnomes, orcs, goblins, etc.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Who was the Sorcerer King that got sucked into Ravenloft, wasn't it Kalid-Ma?

Yes, originally from Ravenloft's Forbidden Lore boxed set and, IIRC, updated in the Domains of Dread hardback.

Note that The Orbs of Kalid-Ma (from Psionic Artifacts of Athas) seem to contradict the Ravenloft material somewhat - however, I personally find it easily reconcilable. You just say that Kalid-Ma's body is in Ravenloft, while his fractured consciousness is in the Orbs, which remain on Athas (meaning that Kalidnay's domain lord, Thakok-An, will never gain what she wants most - perfectly fitting for Ravenloft).

WanderingMonster

First Post
I'd like the champions to be revised a bit, if only because I never want to read the phrase "wemic annihilator" ever again. It just seems like at that point someone reached the end of both sentient, civilization-building creatures and synonyms for 'destroyer'.

I'd much rather see the Champions sent to the far corners of Athas to lay waste to all who would oppose Rajaat. "The Scourge of [place_name]" would not only sound better, but leave a little mystery for the players and DM to incorporate into their game, should they wish.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Lets be honest, nothing of this is spelled out in the original box. I doubt the even mention any of this. Boris as a ex-human and walking seal is great, but the Dragon as a force of destruction walking through the desert and preying on anything that moves is as good or even better.

Remove ads