Dark Sun: What System would you use?

If you were running a Dark Sun game, which system would you use? (Please read first!)

• Second Edition/Castles and Crusades

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • E6/P6 with modifications

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Shadowrun/White Wolf Clone

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Iron Heroes

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Some Other Option

Votes: 34 44.7%

Wightbred

Explorer
Dark Sol or Dungeon World or a similar Apocalype World hack. Seems daunting to get into when you see it, but I moved across from 4e to this and IMO it suits Dark Sun perfectly.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I would lean towards True20 - as customizable as Savage Worlds, but has enough similarity to D&D that you will have a framework for conversion.

Not as simple as some, but still a fairly compact system.

For that matter... perhaps Mutants & Masterminds? Have PCs choose a super power of some sort as their 'psionics'. While I have never seen the fantasy rules for M&M I have heard good things about them.

The Auld Grump

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The option I would choose is RuneQuest 2. In fact I produced a several-page document in MS-Word to cover character generation, weapons, armour, psionics, arcane magic, divine magic and 'classes' as starter skill packages, covering up to 3rd level spells.

Default RQ had fragile weapons, gritty combat and just seemed an all round good fit. I ran some good games using those rules.

If you are interested I could upload them here or email them across to you for a look.

Cheers

pawsplay

Hero
If ever there were two settings GURPS was meant to do, it's historical WWII... and Dark Sun. GURPS was built from a game called Man-to-Man that focused on gladiator-style combat, and it has superior rules for both magic and psionics, and it handles special weapon materials really well. It's also really easy to build a racial template in GURPS, making it a cinch to convert half-giants and such. Built at the right point totals, and using the right campaign lenses, GURPS is also appropriately deadly, yet without making PCs disposable, which sets, I think, just about the perfect tone for Dark Sun.

GURPS Lite is available to sample for free if you want to get a taste of its mechanics.

evildmguy

Explorer
Have you looked at WoD:Mirrors? I think the core set has something for fantasy rules for it. Then, using the core books for mortals, you could use second sight for anyone who wanted a psychic talent. However, I don't know it well enough to say what to do for magic, either arcane or primal/elemental/whatever you are doing for elemental clerics and druids. You might get away with using Mage, as they aren't less squishy from mortals from what I remember.

You could also start with a mortal version of Exalted and if they keep going, they get to be full exalted at some point, when you choose. I would say Dragon Blooded. Not sure how to stat a SK, though, if you want them to go after SKs eventually. Probably highly experienced DBs as well with better items.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Okay, I read your entire original post and here is my opinion. Run 3.5. But to simplify it and practically eliminate "build abuse" (as you call it) use two house rules. The first is to do away with level-based feats. I mean the feats all characters get at 1st, 3rd, 6th, etc. Just get rid of them. The only feats players can get are from classes, like fighter bonus feats and such. The second is to use the maximum ranks, limited choices variant from Unearthed Arcana. I think you'll find by using these two rules character building in 3.5 is incredibly simple. Your only two real choices at character creation (assuming you begin at 1st-level) are race and class. Plus you can limit things further by having your players start with the starting package for equipment, or you can just give them an adventurer's kit from the PH2 plus a weapon and armor.

I think 3.5 has the best rules for psionics out of all editions from 1st through 4th and psionics is prominent in Dark Sun. It also has a great combat system, which is simplified if you don't allow level-based feats to complicate player choices during battle.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Given your parameters, I would use some derivative of FATE. (Otherwise I probably would have gravitated toward Mutants and Masterminds.)

Strands of Fate is a generic rulesset for FATE that would probably work for your purposes, albeit perhaps a bit too "build-y."

The Dresden Files RPG is another FATE derivative with a setting that really doesn't gel with Dark Sun, but its mechanics are well suited to it if you want something light and fast. Both would work better and be easier to convert than World of Darkness or Shadowrun.

Remove ads