• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DarkMatter D20: Drunk Southern Girls with Guns ... UPDATED - 8/18/05!

What would you like to see in the DarkMatter campaign?

• Cthulhu, baby

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • More anal probing!

Votes: 66 23.7%
  • Rather less anal probing, thank you.

Votes: 33 11.9%
  • Deeper Conspiracy theory stuff

Votes: 84 30.2%
  • More traditional monster/horror tone

Votes: 29 10.4%

Elph

First Post
Watch this Show!

Hey friends! This is yet another call for your support and since it is for our friend Andy, I'm sure John won't mind the plug in the middle of his DarkMatter link. Andy's show is premiering tomorrow night and I want all of ya'll to tune in. It's called Haunted and comes on UPN after Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's uber creepy and lots of fun. Spread the word and check it out! Thanks, Elph

Friadoc

Explorer
Haunted,

...was pretty d@mn good.

I enjoyed the former cop, turned PI, his ex-wife (or seperated, as it didn't specify), his friend/former partner, his interesting neighbor lady, and the blind chess player.

Overall, very solid show.

Although it's more of the director's choice, I'm sure, the cinematography reminded me of 'Brimstone', as well as 'Seven' in that it was gritty, dark, and very wet. ;)

Anyhow, all in all solid show for an opener.

DanMcS

Explorer
Friadoc said:
Although it's more of the director's choice, I'm sure, the cinematography reminded me of 'Brimstone', as well as 'Seven' in that it was gritty, dark, and very wet. ;)

My favorite shot was at the beginning, when he tossed Simon off the roof, and he fell at NORMAL SPEED. They didn't go for the gratuitous slow-mo death fall, and I was so surprised that it made me happy. Overall good start for this show. And it's more likely to survive than Firefly, which is in the Fox Friday Night Death Slot.

d19

First Post
Friadoc said:
Haunted,

...was pretty d@mn good.

Anyhow, all in all solid show for an opener.

It reminded me more of Millennium, but I'm sure part of that is the Mark Snow music and the rain.

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Good Show Anthony. I watched it in the dark and there were a couple of moments that made me jump.

I had a good time and really related to the lead character. As a father, I have wondered what I would do in just such a situation. How would I live with myself after having the oportuninty to save my child and not taking it. I liked the ray of hope you left at the end, that maybe his son is out there somewhere still alive.

I will be watching next week for sure.

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Just read all of the cattle Mutalations stories for the first time, the librarian is looking at me wierd. Good stories Jonrog hope y'all keep on keeping on :). I haven't caught Haunted as of yet but if it like the story hour I'm sure it's great.

jonrog1

First Post
NIGHT OF THE CATTLE MUTILATORS
Pt. 6

It was stunning how quickly the light disappeared. The huge production facilities of the plant were like concrete bunkers – they may as well have been miles underground.

After a brief series of corridors, the party found themselves at a huge set of double sliding doors. “Let’s try to be quiet about this,” Jo whispered.

Ross put his shoulder to the handle, slid the door back. It rolled smoothly enough – but soon the track beneath groaned, and the sound of a half-ton of steel rumbling on concrete THUNDERED through the expanse beyond. They actually heard the echo bounce for a few seconds. With a mixture of annoyance and resignation, they pointed their flashlights inside.

The reason for the echo was clear. The next room was cavernous, almost the size of an aircraft hangar. The roof was far higher than they could see. Their flashlight beams ghosted along distant roof struts. They advanced, constantly searching the darkness, guns and flashlights held in overlapping grips.

Andy stopped them suddenly. “Watch your step.”

A vast PIT the size of an Olympic swimming pool yawed out before them. It was a good thrirty feet deep to the bottom, and crossed the entire room, cutting them off from the far wall. Denis scanned the room with his flashlight – there was a slender metal catwalk extending across the gap, dead center.

“Any ideas?” Stephen whispered.

“They refined chromium hexachloride here, remember what the ranchers said.” Denis took the first tentative steps across the catwalk. “They told us, they’d store millions of gallons of the stuff in these tanks.” The rest of the Agents followed Denis’ lead, spacing themselves so their weight (DM’s NOTE: or some rat-bastard DM) wouldn’t collapse the walkway.

Three-quarters of the way across, Denis stopped. He pointed his flashlight straight up. “You hear that?” The other Agents paused. Denis voice echoed slightly in the room, but beyond that, there was a noise. A faint scratching sound high above.

“Off the catwalk,” Ross barked, “now.”

They reached the other side intact, only to find yet another set of metal sliding doors.. The scratching above them was definitely more pronounced. Someone – or something – was moving in the rafters. The Agents waited at the doors. The sound passed above them … and was gone.

“Just keep watching,” said Andy. He and Ross pulled open the next set of doors. Beyond was an identical empty refining pool. Keeping all angles covered, the Agents quickly sprinted across the catwalk and to the other side. Jo pointed her flashlight back and shuddered. The way in was already lost in dust and shadow.

Andy and Ross grabbed the handles to the next set of doors. “What happens if we just keep finding these empty rooms?”

“I’m all for empty rooms,” said Stephen. He and Jo pointed their guns and flashlights dead ahead, waiting as Andy and Ross slid open the doors –

-- only to be BLINDED momentarily by hanging ARCLIGHTS set around the room. At the same time, a smell of indescribable death, rot and filth SLAMMED into them.

Andy, Ross, Johanna and Stephen were facing forward, so they all saw the same thing. This refining hangar had been converted somehow. Lights and generators hummed. The place was too big to be properly lit, but bright pools of light through everything into high shadowy relief. The Agents were too far back from the pool to see what was inside.

Visible across the catwalk was not another set of doors, but a control room of some sort. It had one big window looking out over the refining pool, and behind that window high-tech computers and instruments glowed.

Also behind the window was a man in a white labcoat. He was plainly startled at the arrival of the Agents. Jo could just make out that he’d picked up some sort of small box and was pressing buttons on it.

Denis was facing the other way, covering their backs. That’s why he saw the mutated "Lizard-man" land behind them.

The creature dropped from the rafters, spinning rapidly them SLAMMING into the concrete on all fours. Before Denis could react, the powerful muscles on the Lizardman’s back bunched and it unfurled to its full seven foot height. It HISSED angrily, popping out razor-sharp claws on its “hands.”

The others were still turning around as Denis unloaded three shots from his nine-mil into the thing. The bullets glanced off the thing’s scales – it screamed and CHARGED. It locked Denis in a death-grip and DROVE him toward the pool’s edge.

Ross and Stephen were too spread out to do anything; they didn’t want to fire and risk hitting Denis. Jo grabbed the thing’s arm, found herself dragged along with it. She raised her gun to its neck and fired point-blank. The bullet LODGED in the Lizardman’s scales, hurting it but not wounding it.

Andy, meanwhile, had decided to go for the tactical wildcard. He SPRINTED across the catwalk toward the control room. He was there in seconds, KICKING in the door.

The Lizardman was smart enough to understand that guns hurt him. It focused on keeping Denis’ gun-hand away from its face, all the while SNAPPING at Denis’ throat with its powerful jaws. It was all Denis could do to keep alive. Stephen and Ross closed up enough to risk firing. Their shots THUDDED into the abomination’s scales, barely distracting it. Jo clung to the thing’s shoulder like a toddler grabbing an NFL receiver’s pads, pressed her pistol against it and unloaded three shots. The creature HOWLED in agony, but stayed focused on Denis.

Andy was through the control room door. The scientist within was a frail man in his 50’s. Before he could react, Andy drop-kicked him against his machinery. The scientist slumped to the floor, the electronic control box in his hand tumbling to the floor. Andy picked up the box: it had un-labeled buttons all over it, with one large red one in the center.

“What the hell,” he muttered to himself. And then he pressed the red button.

Across the room, the Lizardman ROARED as electric shocks suddenly lanced through it. Jo spotted some sort of control collar lodged around its throat as the creature convulsed. In agony the creature BOLTED for the edge of the refining pool, and dove in -- bringing Jo and Denis with him!

Stephen and Ross ran to the edge, expecting the sickening crunch of bodies hitting cement.

What they saw was much, much worse.

Jo, Denis and the Lizardman hit with a gooey SPLASH. Some … fluid filled the pool waist-high. It was dense enough to break their falls. In a second, the Agents above saw a ripple as the Lizardman swam off beneath the surface.

Jo and Denis broke the surface, gasping for air. The stench here was almost strong enough to knock them out. The slick concrete pool walls around them offered no handholds. Both of them were both soaked and coated with the filthy goo. It was everywhere, in their hair, on and in their clothing. Jo raised her hand, squinted at the slime on her fingers. Something was moving …

Maggots. The goo was chock-full of maggots, like a rice soup. The fluid itself was some horrible soup of maggots, oozing bodily fluids, meat so rotted it had gone liquid. They were at the bottom of an Olympic-sized swimming pool of corpse-soup.
Before they could even form the first screams of disgust, something moved near them. Jo and Denis stared as something – someone stood up near them. It turned, slowly, faced them. It was a man – or what was left of one, in shredded clothes, his muscle and skin hanging from him in long tatters. He turned toward the Agents in the pool and stretched his jaws wide. Sharp, tearing teeth filled his mouth as he groaned horribly.

Behind him, another zombie stood up. Then another. Then two more.

The Agents watched in horror as zombie after zombie rose silently from the soupy rot, completely surrounding them. Within seconds over forty of the undead beasts, with broken necks, missing limbs -- but all with gnashing jaws intact -- surrounded the Agents.

With a hungry moan, the zombie horde lurched forward ...

jonrog1

First Post
Sorry there's not a lot of snappy dialog in this chapter, but the players themselves were fairly terse and professional during this little sequence. Except of course for Andy deciding to press the red button.

The red button is not our friend. And yet, invariably, Andy will press it when encountered.

This is where Jo's mental health really begins to slide. The weird thing was -- if there was a "bad thing" to happen in any of the adventures, she stumbled into it.

She's been attacked by a winter demon, shot in the face by a levitating psychotic mom being raised into a UFO, had a zombie toddler try to rip out her windpipe with its teeth while babbling "Yummyyummyyummy..." (okay, that one was just for her), and now she's covered in rotted-meat soup and maggots, which are squirming away in her hair, eyes, mouth, and underwear with a zombie horde closing in. Never mind the apocalyptic ending to come ...

On the other hand, her stability was really just starting to slide here. The next mission through is when both Jo the character and Jo the player start having serious problems. When you find out what we did to her, I will ask for review of my Rat-Bastard DM status from D-Dog and the others. I want a t-shirt.

The mutated Lizard-man is, indeed, a cut-and-paste Lizardman who fully appreciates the power of Bull Rush. When he was electroshocked and decided to seek refuge in his gooey nest, I gave Jo a chance to let go (Reflex Save) and then opposed Strength checks for them to not get dragged in.

There are separate rules for this "Zombie Horde" as opposed to the standard 3E zombies, somewhat like the "Faceless Horde" Rules from FENG SUI's crossover module Burning Shaolin. Essentially, for every turn you're moving through the horde, you must make a Reflex save to avoid getting grabbed. Every time you get grabbed, your speed decreases by 10', and the save DC is +2 -- trying to represent the "overbearing" nature of most zombie films.

You can take a full round to "break free" -- not move, but decrease the Save DC by 2, or line up a "head shot" with a firearm, which will clear out the nearest zombie and decrease the DC by another 2

Sounds clunky, but saves on endless combat rolls, and gives you that minty fresh "Dawn of the Dead" feeling.

Next chapter: Ross and Stephen play sniper, Denis and Jo try to find a ladder, Andy reads Russian, and everybody goes back to town ... everybody.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads