Darkness and Fog Cloud

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Okay here's one for the rules buffs. Situation is thus: (Those of you who have finished Grasp of the Emerald claw will recognize this one)

Players have finally encountered the BBEG. A part of this BBEG is a Huge living construct. Another part is a sentient creation schema. The schema has blindsense and the construct has only lowlight vision.

The party cast darkness upon the Huge construct, thereby all within 20 feet are considered to have partial concealment.

Then, the party cleric who has been rather beaten severely already by said BBEG, casts fog cloud centered where the BBEG is standing.

My question(s) is/are thus: Is there a movement penalty for moving in a fog cloud along with darkness and how far can one actually see to move and target?

I couldn't think of an exact ruling, so as the party's artificer/ fighter warforged spent one minute baning his sword, the rest hid behind pillars in the cloud while the BBEG stumbled aimlessly until the warforged came out and had his way with the ending.

Thanks in advance and if you need any further details, let me know.

Nail

First Post
shadowbloodmoon said:
My question(s) is/are thus: Is there a movement penalty for moving in a fog cloud along with darkness
No. Neither the Darkness nor the Fog Cloud spell cause movement penalties. After all Darkness doesn't actually cause darkness; it causes shadowy illumination.

shadowbloodmoon said:
.... and how far can one actually see to move and target?
Given the Fog Cloud (the other spell is irrelevant), 5 feet (only into the adjacent square).

Lastly: Given the BBEG had blindsense, I'm not sure why you had him "stumbling aimlessly".

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Note: IOW, casting Darkness does NOT invoke this rules bit:

SRD said:
In areas of darkness, creatures without darkvision are effectively blinded. In addition to the obvious effects, a blinded creature has a 50% miss chance in combat (all opponents have total concealment), loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, takes a -2 penalty to AC, moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and most Strength and Dexterity-based skill checks.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The spell Darkness is not total darkness, true, but the rules on hampered movement only specify "poor visibility." I think it's clear (pun intended) that concealment is an example of poor visibility. Is there something that better defines poor visibility or contradicts this?

VorpalStare

First Post
Under the description of Fog Cloud (PHB p. 232) it says that creatures 5' apart have concealment from each other, and creatures more than 5' apart have total concealment from each other.

Table 9-4: Hampered Movement (PHB p. 163), includes this line:

Condition.............Example............ Additional Movement Cost
Poor visibility........Darkness or Fog.. x2

So Fog (as from a Fog Cloud spell) qualifies as poor visibility. By analogy, any other condition that prevents vision beyond 5' must also so qualify.

Nail

First Post
...except that the Darkness in that table is not the same as the Shadowy Illumination provided by the Darkness spell.

The Fog part's okay, tho'.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
True, but you can cast it upon objects. Now, of course, you get into the "is a construct an object" argument. :)

I don't think we're due for another one of those for another few days. Let me check the calendar... ah here between "can rogues sneak attack with TWF and interatives" and "can I ready an action outside of combat." Darn, we're never going to get around to the "delaying is too powerful!!11!" thread at this rate...

Remove ads