Darkness propagation

chilibean

First Post
The thread on deeper darkness and daylight got me wondering about exactly how darkness works.

{For reference the following was cut&pasted from the SRD darkness spell description:}
This spell causes an object to radiate darkness out to a 20-foot radius.

If the spell is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a lightproof covering, the spell?s effects are blocked until the covering is removed.
{end cut&paste}

This makes it sound like the darkness is tangible, just like light is in the real world. It radiates and is blocked by light proof coverings. That means it's not just the absense of light, the darkness is actually tangible.

Could you make a cone shaped area of darkness by only partially covering the object? Would the darkness be able to be reflected (envisioning a Bulls-Eye Lantern of Darkness)? Or maybe something that was reflective to light may not be reflective to darkness, so could a darkness mirror exist?

If you cast darkness on a rock, then put the rock next to a door, is the room on the other side now magically dark? If not, what about a curtain? How thick of a curtain? Only a light proof curtain? Is a person light proof? Would a person create a "shadow" of light while standing in the darkness, or does it curve around obstacles (and thus fill up a sphere) better than light does? If it can wrap around a person, can it spill though a crack under a door (or a keyhole)? Or it is just limited to being contained in "containers" and other than that its always at full radius?

So I guess you could you cast darkness on a rock, put it in a bottle, close the bottle and throw it at a target so the bottle would break and the target would be covered in darkness when the rock was free of it's light proof covering?

Since dropping an object is a free action, smart demons would probably keep a rock with darkness on it in their closed hand when expecting combat to drop it the moment an opponent closes with them.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
chilibean said:
This makes it sound like the darkness is tangible, just like light is in the real world. It radiates and is blocked by light proof coverings. That means it's not just the absense of light, the darkness is actually tangible.
Correct.

chilibean said:
Could you make a cone shaped area of darkness by only partially covering the object?
Sure.

chilibean said:
Would the darkness be able to be reflected (envisioning a Bulls-Eye Lantern of Darkness)? Or maybe something that was reflective to light may not be reflective to darkness, so could a darkness mirror exist?
Not IMC, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have it work that way.

chilibean said:
If you cast darkness on a rock, then put the rock next to a door, is the room on the other side now magically dark?
No, assuming the door is opaque.

chilibean said:
If not, what about a curtain? How thick of a curtain? Only a light proof curtain?
If it lets light through, it lets the magical darkness through.

chilibean said:
Is a person light proof? Would a person create a "shadow" of light while standing in the darkness, or does it curve around obstacles (and thus fill up a sphere) better than light does?
Yes; I suppose so.

chilibean said:
If it can wrap around a person, can it spill though a crack under a door (or a keyhole)? Or it is just limited to being contained in "containers" and other than that its always at full radius?
I'm sure it could seep through, but it wouldn't make a meaningful difference, just like lught under a door.

chilibean said:
So I guess you could you cast darkness on a rock, put it in a bottle, close the bottle and throw it at a target so the bottle would break and the target would be covered in darkness when the rock was free of it's light proof covering?

Since dropping an object is a free action, smart demons would probably keep a rock with darkness on it in their closed hand when expecting combat to drop it the moment an opponent closes with them.
They could do so. A similar suggestion has been made with adventurers and mud-covered rocks with light.

Mahali

Explorer
chilibean said:

If the spell is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a lightproof covering, the spell?s effects are blocked until the covering is removed.

Yes

This makes it sound like the darkness is tangible, just like light is in the real world. That means it's not just the absense of light, the darkness is actually tangible.
Could you make a cone shaped area of darkness by only partially covering the object? Would the darkness be able to be reflected (envisioning a Bulls-Eye Lantern of Darkness)? Or maybe something that was reflective to light may not be reflective to darkness, so could a darkness mirror exist?

I think this is a bad way to think about it if for no other reason than game mechanics and simplicity. We play it that if the covering is removed/broken then the full radius is dark. No, a mirror wouldn't reflect darkness. It's magical darkness not "anti-photons" canceling light.

If you cast darkness on a rock, then put the rock next to a door, is the room on the other side now magically dark? If not, what about a curtain? Is a person light proof? Would a person create a "shadow" of light while standing in the darkness, or does it curve around obstacles (and thus fill up a sphere) better than light does? If it can wrap around a person, can it spill though a crack under a door (or a keyhole)? Or it is just limited to being contained in "containers" and other than that its always at full radius?

No, a closed door blocks the darkness. If the curtains let light through they darkness penetrates as well. We play that if someone were to open the curtains (or slash them) darkness is extended beyond then too. A person does not block darkness creating a patch of light "shadow". Cracks under a door and keyholes are sufficient to prevent darkness.

Yes, as long as the bottle doesn't let light in. A hand is sufficient cover to prevent the darkness from effecting. If you were to drop a bottle bottle would have to break so either an extrememly fragile bottle would have to be used or you'd have to throw it down (taking an attack or MEA). After all the first 10' is subdual damage as well.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Re: Re: Re: Darkness propagation

Hypersmurf said:
Bear in mind that's an optional Variant Rule.

Unless you intentionally jump or land in soft ground/mud.

Remember that both Tumble and Jump checks help out here - though I doubt the bottle can do either.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
chilibean said:
The thread on deeper darkness and daylight got me wondering about exactly how darkness works.

Mostly like the other Moderators, basically, but possibly with more free time at my hands. :eek:

The Oracle

First Post
Darkness on the Edge of Town

The behavior of darkness is, IMHO, best handled as a variant of light in all cases. So, whatever can be done with light also can be done with darkness. We had this come up in a Living Greyhawk modules, we opened a door in a building which had darkness cast in it, producing, in this case, a cone of darkness that bled out from the door. We debated whether it should be a column of light shaped like the door, or a cone, or if it should just complete the circle it would have made, and a cone of darkness made the most sense, just as if it had been pitch black, and someone had a strong light inside when the door was opened.

The spell Darkness must be placed on an object, and if that object is placed in another object (or is covered by it) it will be blocked ONLY if the object is lightproof, so a clear bottle won't work. A ceramic or clay pot would if it contained a 'darkened' rock. This would make a good projectile weapon, as it doesn't have to be very accurate to be effective.

Gromm

First Post
Re: Re: Darkness propagation

Darkness said:
Mostly like the other Moderators, basically, but possibly with more free time at my hands. :eek:

And here I thought it was a thread about your family life or something.

MythandLore

First Post
Globe of Darkness.

Attachments

• darkness1.gif
    darkness1.gif
    90.1 KB · Views: 945

Remove ads