Kickstarter Darrin Drader Brings You Reign of Discordia 2nd Edition -- 5E in Space!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Tuesday (6-14-2022) Update

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I'm just back in the office after watching one of my daughters graduate high school!
We've officially reached the mid-point in the campaign, and as I mentioned last time, this is historically the slow point of the Kickstarter. We did see growth of something like $1,200 since Friday, however, so I'll take that as a major win!
One question that was posed by Colin Buckler in the comments section was whether or not we're going to make the PDF available to backers before it goes to print so the community has chance to go over the rules and find potential sticking points. The short answer to that is yes, definitely. As this is a setting product, there are narrative elements to help GMs build their campaigns and there are rules elements that are needed to bring the setting to life (and in the case of the 5E version, make it compatible with the science fiction -- space opera genre). As such, numerous sets of eyes are more likely to catch issues than a select few, and having a delay between the PDF release and the print release actually worked to our advantage with Battlemasters & Beserkers (which I wrote and was Kickstarted by Legendary Games). When issues surface, it is always a tad embarrassing, but I'd personally rather suffer a little embarrassment and have a better game product than let problems slide and then have to address them through errata.

That aside, you might be curious what the editing process is going to be.

When I wrote the first edition of Reign of Discordia back in 2007 and 2008, I would categorize my writing abilities as average for someone with an English degree (which I completed at WSU in 2009). It then went to editing, and despite the praise it has received from those who have read it and used it in their games, I tend to find a lot of wording I now consider clumsy when I look at the material. I am very much looking forward to either overwriting these issues or editing them out of existence if that material is to appear in the new book.

These days, one of the services I offer for other publishers in the industry is copyediting. The most recent book I edited was Twilight Fables, which weighed in at 170,000 words and will soon see release from Izegrim Creations (formally Sacrosanct Games). After I finish with the manuscript, it will go to my wife, who is an amazing editor in her own right, and I'm confident she'll catch any language issues I happen to miss.

As for the rules content, I will be employing the skills of my co-producer on this project, Marcus Bone. I am doing the lion's share of the planning and writing for the new edition, but because he is also an RPG designer with considerable experience, nothing will go into the book until it passes through his hands.

Once the rules and copyediting are complete, it will go through layout, and that will be the point we release it to you.
Have a great day, and if you happen to get some gaming in, I salute you!

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
The question was raised as to whether I have a Discord server for Reign of Discordia. Apparently some folks aren't crazy about the Book of Faces these days and wanted an alternative to the group I set up there. The answer was that no, I didn't. What I did already have was a Discord server for the people who follow the 2d20 Fallout and Star Trek games I stream on my Twitch channel.
After a bit of reworking, I've opened up the server to Reign of Discordia backers. Feel free to come join us over there at the following link: Join the Darrin Drader Designs Discord Server!

- Darrin

Remove ads