• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DART worked! For the first time humans changed the trajectory of a celestial body!

Ryujin

Legend
I wonder if they're going to plan for a second test, to see how many degrees of arc they can change a body's orbit by? Or would that be just too dangerous?

MarkB

Legend
I wonder if they're going to plan for a second test, to see how many degrees of arc they can change a body's orbit by? Or would that be just too dangerous?
Probably the main things to focus on for any future tests will be reliability of results - how to transfer the maximum amount of kinetic energy to the target without wastage or risk of fracturing off other bodies, how to ensure that the velocity change is as predictable as possible, accounting for difficulties such as low-albedo bodies or ones with fast rotation. Perfect the technique first, then look to scaling.

Ryujin

Legend
Probably the main things to focus on for any future tests will be reliability of results - how to transfer the maximum amount of kinetic energy to the target without wastage or risk of fracturing off other bodies, how to ensure that the velocity change is as predictable as possible, accounting for difficulties such as low-albedo bodies or ones with fast rotation. Perfect the technique first, then look to scaling.
I would imagine there's also the issue of target structure. Is it a rocky asteroid, or made of softer congregate material? How will that affect impact and energy transfer?

Remove ads