Daunton's Dead Shadow (DM:Ukingsken, Judge:????)

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

As convenient as the book having a speak w/ dead ritual is, you have to be of a high enough level to learn it and it's a 6th level ritual.

So casting it for ourselves is right out. Now it seems to me that there should be clerics at the Temple of Lauto capable of casting it though.

I propose we collect the body and hammer and whatever else isn't nailed down and get back to the temple.

Then we can see about getting a speak w/ dead ritual cast, though I might suggest holding off on that for just a bit to see if we can get any more information from the lead we have since we're only going to get a couple of questions.

Checking with the neighbors to see if anyone saw anything suspicious might be worthwhile.

Getting the Make Whole ritual and seeing if we can repair the note to a more decipherable state could give us some more information.

One has to wonder how they knew about the dead fellows demon summoning skills in the first place, maybe one of his associates is with the cult.

[edit: Going back and looking at the thread whoever was searching the house was obviously trying to find more than the summoner, since they were searching things like pillows and desk, maybe they want the book...maybe it could be used as bait.]

[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

As convenient as the book having a speak w/ dead ritual is, you have to be of a high enough level to learn it and it's a 6th level ritual.

So casting it for ourselves is right out. Now it seems to me that there should be clerics at the Temple of Lauto capable of casting it though.

I propose we collect the body and hammer and whatever else isn't nailed down and get back to the temple.

Then we can see about getting a speak w/ dead ritual cast, though I might suggest holding off on that for just a bit to see if we can get any more information from the lead we have since we're only going to get a couple of questions.

Checking with the neighbors to see if anyone saw anything suspicious might be worthwhile.

Getting the Make Whole ritual and seeing if we can repair the note to a more decipherable state could give us some more information.

One has to wonder how they knew about the dead fellows demon summoning skills in the first place, maybe one of his associates is with the cult.

[edit: Going back and looking at the thread whoever was searching the house was obviously trying to find more than the summoner, since they were searching things like pillows and desk, maybe they want the book...maybe it could be used as bait.]

[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
I like your idea
[/sblock]

Grakk thinks for a bit. "I know nothing about speaking to the dead. Maybe we should go back to the temple and have them do it. Let's go. I think we've gotten everything we can use here." Grakk picks up the corpse with one hand and slings it over his shoulder like it was a side of beef. He waits for the others to comment or follow.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Magnus]Insight results: The information in the notes, while badly damaged, gives you the feeling that there are clues to be found there, if only you knew how to recognize them. Perhaps if you knew more about the city...

ooc: Good streetwise checks are needed to get more out of the notes, as they are. Make Whole would certainly help, though.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Kamotz]Speaking with the dead is something that the Temple of Lauto prefers to avoid when possible. Those who have gone over into the Master's realm are in His care now, and not to be disturbed by mortal concerns, if possible. However, for the right cause -- or the right donation -- they are willing to consider alternative viewpoints. As you are directly in the service of High Priest Belingras on a mission that concerns both the safety of Lauto's servants and an interference with the sacred death rites, they would very likely be eager to help you.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Oni has summed up a few of the various options fairly well. There isn't a single "correct" path to follow at this point; there are probably half a dozen ways I can think of to find the killers from here, and more that I haven't thought of. Go about it how your characters see fit, and we'll find a way forward somehow.
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Alright Grakk, we shall go to the temple. Morvannon can ask the cler'k who owns this place now. Kamotz stands and dusts himself off. Does anyone feel there is more to be done here?

CaBaNa

First Post
The demon seemed unable to touch you Vixo, how do you move so quickly? Kamotz continues playing the battle over again, taking notes as he remembers details.

Brain

First Post
Vixo tosses a small pebble to the floor and looks up. "Life as a Kobold is like that. You don't get hit, you live! Death as a Kobold, well I don't know yet."

Oni

First Post
Magnus paused for a moment, seeming to listen to some far off sound, then wrapped the tome up and put it in his pack.

Oh!...yes...yes...

Climbing back to his feet with a distinct lack of grace he stumped back over to the book shelf. With his staff he rapped the lid of a small wooden box.

Don't...forget this...

With that thought Magnus quickly shuffled out of the room, only to return a few minutes later with a container he could safely store ashes in.

Moving to the braziers he removed the coals and hot solids with through means of his magic, plucking them out and setting them aside as with an invisible hand. When he was satisfied that nothing but the ashes remained, he carefully transferred them to the container. He also made sure to check behind the alter once again to make sure that nothing of the note had been missed that might be vital.

[sblock=ooc]

Maybe Vixo can pick the lock on the box.

I suppose at some point we're going to have to figure out how to divvy up the rituals or something.

IC's still down, if you would roll streetwise check for me that would be dandy, his modifier is +0, but I figure being a Daunton native might be worth something.

perception: +4 for double checking the alter.

I'm ready to move on, the next stop for Magnus will be trying to locate a purveyor of common rituals and purchasing a Make Whole ritual and when presumable back to the temple of Lauto if that's the agreed upon next step.

[/sblock]

Brain

First Post
[sblock=ooc]vixo can certainly check out and try to unlock the box (i had no idea there was a box - i have trouble following what's going on in this group, so much miscellaneous rambling, no offense meant)[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Magnus finds that his studies have left him with too little awareness of daily life in Daunton to pick up any further information from the notes at this time. He sifts carefully through the ashes in the brazier and behind the altar, and manages to extract a few burnt fragments of paper that may have been part of the notes, once.

Meanwhile, Vixo tinkers with the lock on the small wooden box. After a quick look, he holds the box sideways and gives the lock a gentle tap. There is a click, and the lid comes loose easily, revealing a generous pile of small golden coins.

[sblock=ooc]Streetwise 1d20+4=12. Actually, that's 8, because I misread your sblock and thought you said it was +4. So, yeah.

Perception for checking the altar: 1d20+4=19

Vixo easily opens the box: Thievery 1d20+12=28. Inside is 400 gold.

Magnus won't have any trouble finding purveyors of low-level rituals. He can probably get what he's looking for at Lauto's temple, if that's where the party is going. Is that where the party is going? I've heard a few "are we ready to leave?" comments, but no one has said "I'm walking out the door."
[/sblock]

Remove ads