D&D General Daystar West Pharaoh sold for $9,995!

darjr

I crit!
Pharoh would get merged with other adventures after TSR purchased it, to because the first Forgotten Realms adventure, Desert of Desolation, which lead to the eastern half of Faerun to be restructured as a ripple effect of what Desert of Desolation added to the Forgotten Realms (basically they took what Ed Greenwood had planned as a Stygia inspired place, and turned it into fantasy Egypt, fantasy Greece, and fantasy Mesopotamia, and lead to the past Imaskari Empire. These Empire's histories in turn ended up reshaping the rest of Eastern Faerun.
Oh yea, I had forgotten about that.

So,

It helped found a new style of adventure.
It helped found whole new areas of the Forgotten Realms.
It was what brought, what would later become Ravenloft and maybe even Dragonlance, to TSR.
It was part of the beginning of the Hickmans career in RPGS.
Only 100 were printed. D&D Ultra-rare: Pharaoh (Daystar West, 1980)

aia_2

Custom title
...well, welcome in the collectors' market! This is where you find OD&D woodgrain editions sold between 5000$ and 15000$ according to the print run! (And this is only one of the many examples!)
I am (even if i try to get out of it) one of those crazy fellows... I am not shocked by the price of that Pharaoh, i would say it is a "fair" price for the collectors' market... I am more shocked to see 700$ for a 5E limiter cover of Volo's monsters (i don't see the rationale, even from a collector prespective)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I think we have the long version, short version is that this is a pre TSR early printing of the classic adventure. The Hickmans brought this, Rahasia (up thread) and Ravenloft with them to Lake Geneva. Imagine how much an early printing of Raveloft would go for, if such a thing existed.

If there is actual rarity (like this has), it has value for collectors. It's insane anyone paying big bucks for anything from the 5E era - the print runs on even the "limited edition" ones is massive by comparison.

GreyLord

Legend
So...awhile back I discovered my original copy of Holmes Basic had a DIFFERENT paragraph than what most have in theirs.

In it, rather than an Elf advancing at the same rate as both fighter and Magic-user, it was as the OD&D version where you had to choose each adventure which one you would adventure as....either a Fighter or a M-U.

Some have suggested that somehow I got my hands on a proto/preview copy before it was edited/changed.

With these ridiculous prices going on (maybe I should also inquire about my original Books for OD&D, but I have no idea how to figure out which printing they are) I wonder how much something like that would actually go for?

aia_2

Custom title
So...awhile back I discovered my original copy of Holmes Basic had a DIFFERENT paragraph than what most have in theirs.

In it, rather than an Elf advancing at the same rate as both fighter and Magic-user, it was as the OD&D version where you had to choose each adventure which one you would adventure as....either a Fighter or a M-U.

Some have suggested that somehow I got my hands on a proto/preview copy before it was edited/changed.

With these ridiculous prices going on (maybe I should also inquire about my original Books for OD&D, but I have no idea how to figure out which printing they are) I wonder how much something like that would actually go for?

My reccomendation is to take some pics and post them at the Acaeum boards.

Remove ads