Dazed condition in racial power

Flobby

Explorer
Does this sound overpowered (underpowered) for a racial power?

Encounter Psionic
Minor Action Ranged 5
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Will
Hit: The target is dazed until the end of your next turn. Also, during that time you and your allies gain a +2 to Bluff and Diplomacy checks against the target.

Thanks

Quickleaf

Legend
Daze in a racial ability is overpowered.

First, most racial powers don't inflict conditions. They either provide personal benefits, movement, bonuses to attack/damage, re-rolls, or rarely special attacks.

Second, if you look at Mark Monack's article "Tutorial: Terrain Powers" you'll notice that 'daze' isn't listed as an improvisational terrain appropriate effect until 10th level, and then it requires a standard action along with blind, immobilize, and restrain.

Instead, you might go with making it a standard action, removing the attack bonus, and changing "daze" in the effect line to "cannot make opportunity attacks or take immediate actions".

Pour

First Post
Definitely overpowered, but I've done plenty of things over the course of the game that were overpowered and didn't ruin it. I'm wondering, with a little compromise, if you couldn't make it work. What about this?

Look Into My Eyes
Encounter * Gaze, Psionic
Standard Action, Range 5
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Will
Hit: The target is dazed until the end of your next turn. You are also dazed during this time. You and your allies gain a +2 to Bluff and Diplomacy checks against the target.

Ferghis

First Post
Agree. OP's suggestion is overpowered, and Pour's would work, although I'd let it depend on Int, Wis or Cha, just so the racial power is useful to more than a handful of classes.

avs9199

First Post
I agree with Pour's changes as well as Wednesday Boy's addition (though adding it in certainly doesn't change its power much)

sigfile

Explorer
Be sure to scale that up at Paragon and Epic. INT, WIS, or CHA +3/+4 at levels 11/21 if you're using inherent bonuses, or adjust the whole thing to +3/+6/+9 if not.

Since racials can't benefit from Expertise and are neither weapon or implement attacks, you want to make sure they stay competitive.

Flobby

Explorer
Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure a gaze ability fits with the race since they are supposed to be telepathic. What about this?

Encounter Psionic, Psychic
Minor Action Ranged 6
Attack: Intelligence +2 vs. Will, Wisdom +2 vs. Will, Charisma +2 vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage and the target grants combat advantage to you and your allies until the end of your next turn.
Increase to +4 bonus at 11th level, and to +6 bonus at 21st level.

Does this sound more reasonable?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases