D&D 5E DB7 Mike Mearls Call-in

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Mike Mearls Call-in
DB7
By DesertBusForHope

Mike Mearls Call-in from his D&D game with other WotC people.

1.jpg

fjw70

Adventurer
I thought it was intersting that Mike and his boys were talking about how the basic rules they are building now would work for genres other than fantasy. I would love to see a whole bunch of games built off the same basic structure. 4e started this with Gamma World but then dropped it.

Dausuul

Legend
I thought it was intersting that Mike and his boys were talking about how the basic rules they are building now would work for genres other than fantasy. I would love to see a whole bunch of games built off the same basic structure. 4e started this with Gamma World but then dropped it.

It's been tried in pretty much every edition. Never succeeded AFAIK, unless you count some of the third-party d20 games, and those usually made big changes to the core ruleset. Either D&D is a lot more specialized than people realize, or there just isn't much of a market for non-fantasy RPGs, or both. I suspect both.

fjw70

Adventurer
It's been tried in pretty much every edition. Never succeeded AFAIK, unless you count some of the third-party d20 games, and those usually made big changes to the core ruleset. Either D&D is a lot more specialized than people realize, or there just isn't much of a market for non-fantasy RPGs, or both. I suspect both.

I thought it worked well with 4e with a Gamma World.

i thought the interesting thing was that they are giving it thought in the original development of the game. I am not sure that has happened before.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I thought it worked well with 4e with a Gamma World.

i thought the interesting thing was that they are giving it thought in the original development of the game. I am not sure that has happened before.

The OGL and 3.0 were developed in concert, and from the outset the hope was that d20 would develop into a generic system. Indeed, the generic system. It took Wizards themselves quite a while to release d20 Modern and it was pretty much their only foray into non-D&D, non-Star Wars d20, but the intent was there from the start.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong, WotC released their first version of d20 Star Wars in 2000, not all that long after 3.0, so right from the outset they were trying to use the system for different things.

fjw70

Adventurer
I know they wanted to use the 3e/d20 system for other genres, but my question is did the 3e design team take that into consideration during the design process. For example, when designing a piece of the gem did they ever say "hey this rules works fine for D&D but if we tweak it a little it will work better for d20 Modern in a couple years. Since it looks like the d20 Star Wars was developed T the same time did the 3e team and SW team work together to get the best rules for both systems.

Maybe they did but I haven't heard anyone discuss that before.

Zardnaar

Legend
The 1st d20 Star Wars was really really bad. We actually went back to D6 and did not look at d20 Star Wars until SWSE landed.

Remove ads