D&D General DCC goodness into your game of D&D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I was pretty shocked there was no opportunity attack against casters in 5e, just disadvantage on the caster's attack roll if the caster uses a ranged attack roll spell while threatened. No impact for attack spells that use saves.

I was a fan of what I remember of the 4e mechanics where touch spells did not provoke opportunity attacks but ranged attacks/spells/powers did.
For my part I think casting while within melee reach of an enemy should be flat-out impossible*, and taking damage from any other source should - with a very few specific exceptions - interrupt the spell. And no "combat casting" or equivalent to get around this.

* - unless the caster's specific intent is to have the spell interrupted and possibly go wild, if wild surges are a thing in that campaign. I've seen this done in play, where a caster with no other option in effect tries to cast a wild surge and hopes for the best.

Voadam

Legend
For my part I think casting while within melee reach of an enemy should be flat-out impossible*, and taking damage from any other source should - with a very few specific exceptions - interrupt the spell. And no "combat casting" or equivalent to get around this.
The B/X method.

I like touch spells being your combat ones so that shocking grasp has some advantages over magic missile in most editions.

Conceptually I also like power words being the emergency ones for under pressure.

Remove ads