DCC Level 0 Character Funnel is a Bad Concept

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And stacking them wildly in your favor before even thinking of going into combat. DCC is definitely a high risk, high reward game.
I actually think the Corruption mechanic makes for such more literary genre appropriate magic use than 5E Neo-Vancian magic, though I like thst in it's own place. Most of the corruptions add flavor more than any sort of debilitating damage.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't own the DCC rule books and haven't read them, but an old friend from high school, who lives out of state, will give me a break from DMing when he is in town and has run some games for me an my group.

When he ran a DCC funnel game it was a revelation. It was an absolute blast. A sinkhole opened up under some villagers home and he went to spelunking in it an never returned. A group of villagers was rounded up to attempt to find out what happened and hopefully rescue the missing villager.

Yeah, it was 18 characters. Yeah, we played them all concurrently. The only thing I don't recall is random-table save-or-suck deaths. But what these poor peasants ran into meant that just getting hit by an enemy was about the same as save-or-suck, except it was the GM rolling the dice. But that made it much more tactical and tense.

Depending on their commoner professions, a small number may have a family sword or hunting bow. But few had martial weapons. Most had pitchforks, spears, etc. The small amount of funds they had available had to be carefully spent on whatever basic equipment might be helpful. Rope, some food supplies, torches, etc.

At least more than half of them died. I think one player may have had all his characters die and another player gave him one of their characters. We played very tactically, it was tough, be we ended up defeating the big bad, the survivors had generational wealth, and the players had a blast.

It was much more focused on cooperative play and was less character driven, though role play was certainly still part of it. Play wasn't that bogged down by the number of characters. Probably because the DM was very experienced with the system and because zero-level characters do not have a lot of abilities, spells, and powers to choose from. It moved faster than mid-level 5e combat with one-character-per-player in my experience. Also, the DM ran it theater of the mind, which he did well, so there wasn't time spent moving minis or VTT tokens around. Just the occasional sketching something out on paper.

Now this was a one-shot. So we were not really invested in which characters survived. We were invested in enough of the group surviving to successfully complete the adventure.

But I liked the experience so much that for my current Rappan Athuk campaign (DND 5e), I used a similar concept. Except I used the zero-level rules from the Adventurer League's adventure: DDAL-ELW00: What's Past Is Prologue.
  • The character has chosen a name, race, and background.
  • The character has NOT chosen a class.
  • The character has gear plus weapons, up to one common magical item, and proficiencies granted by their race and background.
  • A level 0 character has 6 + their Constitution modifier for hit points, 1d6 hit dice, and no proficiency bonus. Weapon and armor proficiencies may be granted by race and background; those are fine!
  • Upon hitting first level, the character will gain hit points to meet their chosen classes "hit points at first level." E.g., if the character chooses to become a fighter s/he will gain +4 hit points.

Except, I added:

Each player will roll-up four characters at session zero. We will roll up characters together. If you can't make the first session, you will just roll up a 1st level character and bring it to the next session.

It wasn't nearly the same experience as the DCC funnel. Already, these are going to be beefier than the DCC characters, just because 5e stat generation alone (I allow players to chose either role 4 and drop one x 6 and assign in any order - or - point buy). Also, the players were in a caravan with other civilians and guards. The players were also very experienced and tactical...and not very heroic (were happy to let the guards take the brunt--its their job after all, and perhaps they didn't try too hard to save the civilians all the time). So the majority survived their travels to the frontier town that would serve as their initial base of operations for the campaign. From the survivors, the players would pick the one they wanted to play with and the others were backbenched as part of the larger group to be swapped if a character died or if the group wanted to put together a different combo for a specific mission.

As for DCC in general, I've played DCC, Mutant Crawl Classics, and DCC Lankhmar. It has a lot more random stuff in it, especially when it comes to magic use, but I've enjoyed every game I've played, whether from my out-of-state GM friend or at conventions. I've never played any of these in a campaign, however, only one shots. But I see no reason why I wouldn't have fun in a campaign with one of the DCC flavors.

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
I am surprised this thread is 5 pages long and no one mentioned the Crawler's Companion app. Plug in your Burn, Luck, and Spell you are using and it spits out the table result. A good chunk of DCC's page count is because the spell failure tables with every spell.

The website has ton of resources as welll.

I've run several funnels and usually they are a blast. It sounds like the OP GM's was confused about the rules and attitude DCC is about.

I think it is a fantastic system... for people not that are not me. Given I bolted from AD&D to Champions the moment I learned how it worked, primary reason - there was no randomness in character generation. I took one look at the DCC funnel and (wisely) avoided it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it is a fantastic system... for people not that are not me. Given I bolted from AD&D to Champions the moment I learned how it worked, primary reason - there was no randomness in character generation. I took one look at the DCC funnel and (wisely) avoided it.
Yup, different games for different tastes: one of my problems with most RPGs is the lack of randomness in character generation, even as an option.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yup, different games for different tastes: one of my problems with most RPGs is the lack of randomness in character generation, even as an option.
There is the mechanical part and a personal part to chargen. The mechanical part has just gotten to be more and more reflective of the ability of the character. The mechanics have come to mean so much, that it's hard not to be in control of it. The personal aspect is to determine the characters background in all aspects. Folks dont want a wimpy, feeble minded, gong farmer as a character. Even if that character can go on to be very heroic via deeds.

Even a system that makes functional random chargen like Traveller, I have players that find it really hard to let go of background and stats. The system has a much flatter progression table, which allows random chargen, but the player hated the career and life events. They flet it had too much control of their character. Even after I explained these things are just highlights they can flesh out and are not the extent of the background. I guess modern games have developed new habits that die hard.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is the mechanical part and a personal part to chargen. The mechanical part has just gotten to be more and more reflective of the ability of the character. The mechanics have come to mean so much, that it's hard not to be in control of it. The personal aspect is to determine the characters background in all aspects. Folks dont want a wimpy, feeble minded, gong farmer as a character. Even if that character can go on to be very heroic via deeds.

Even a system that makes functional random chargen like Traveller, I have players that find it really hard to let go of background and stats. The system has a much flatter progression table, which allows random chargen, but the player hated the career and life events. They flet it had too much control of their character. Even after I explained these things are just highlights they can flesh out and are not the extent of the background. I guess modern games have developed new habits that die hard.
Eh, different strokes. Traveller has the best character generation any game so far, in my book.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Eh, different strokes. Traveller has the best character generation any game so far, in my book.
Indeed. I do wish Mongoose would work on making the event tables a little more interesting. They certainly could do more player's guides like Paizo does for their APs. I just find those specific touches to really give life to characters. Traveller could use it because often players have a little trouble getting into character, IMO. Though, its a fantastic system that allows random chargen to still be a thing.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Maybe you could clear up a myth I once heard about Traveller. Is it true you can die in character creation? The only time I ever saw that in a game was Deadlands...and even then, you just come back weirder.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases